You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Vector icon gets distorted like raster by export

Hi all,

I included two files, the original Designer and the exported PNG file. Despite the fact everything is vector, when I export to PNG, JPG and TIFF, the icon becomes distorted as when it was a pixel art. Only when exporting like EPS (which is not an option) then the icon is not distorted.

Also, whatever I do in the "stroke" menu, I do not get a pointed arrow. The best I can do is a rounded point.

I had some problems with Designer not opening any more, I wonder if that has anything to do with my new problem.

When I add 3 guides, and the middle is the zero, and I place a guide on position "-0,4" and "0,4", there is a difference when I draw to those position in relation with the zero guide.

Please, can you tell me what is going wrong?

Thank you so much for your help which I appreciate.

Chris

300_WordBackArrowInCircle.png

Icons.afdesign

Can you tell us what you mean by “distorted”?

Your icon is only 2.545mm across so when you export to a raster image there will, inevitably, be some pixelation, even at 300DPI, and especially since your curves (and the whole design) are not aligned to integer pixel values.

2.545mm = 0.1002in (approx.) and 0.1002in at 300DPI = 30.06 pixels (approx.)

For the arrowhead, try increasing the Mitre size in the Stroke Panel to get a point.

I don’t understand what you mean about the guides issue; can you give us more detailed information, maybe with an example document?

Thank you @GarryP,

Thank you for your help which I appreciate.

You are correct, there is nothing wrong with the PNG. The very small dimensions as you mentioned, where the cause of the problem.

With distorted, I actually mean "jagged" like you have when you scale up a pixel image.

The guide issue was also related to align to pixel values turned off.

Everything is fine again.

I wish you a lovely day and all the best.

Chris