You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Split imported PDF spreads into pages

I've received a PDF document and imported into Publisher to make some changes. The PDF was exported from InDesign as spreads, so on import each spread is a single page. Is there a way to split the spreads so they consist of two pages each, as they would in an original Pub document? 

CleanShot 2023-05-10 at 08.54.35@2x.png

I think you will have to work through the document, selecting everything on one page, copying, and pasting each into a new document. Then moving to the next page, and repeating the process.

Depending on the length of the document, it might be easier to request an IDML file rather than the PDF.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 8 months later...
37 minutes ago, TaW said:

I would expect you could open it, change the document to 'spreads'  and export to pdf using 'all pages' instead of 'all spreads'.

No, that shouldn't work. As Spreads you would have two pages per spread (good), but each page of each spread would still be two of the original document pages (i.e., twice the size wanted, bad).

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

No, that shouldn't work

As in: you tried and found it didn't work or as in: you don't think so? I tried and it did what I wanted, but your mileage may vary.. I dropped a pdf with spreads onto an empty publlisher, changed it to spreads and when exporting to pdf chose 'all pages'. This resulted in single pages of half the spread size.

Interesting. I will have to play with that. Thanks.

-- Walt
PC:

2 hours ago, TaW said:

I dropped a pdf with spreads onto an empty publlisher, changed it to spreads and when exporting to pdf chose 'all pages'. This resulted in single pages of half the spread size.

This is how PDFs work. It only counts what is within the bounds of a container, whether it is a "page", or a "spread", it does not matter how the source is composed. And you can autoflow spreads of a source PDF onto a facing pages structure of another PDF that you will be using to export as pages, so the splitting job is pretty fast to carry out.