You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

File / project overwritten (home screen)

Hi,

A strange thing happened today. I couldn't find a post about this in the forum. While going back to the Home screen, I notice the preview image of one of my latest project (document) had changed. Upon opening it to make sure everything's fine, I see that the entire document has indeed been replaced and overwritten by another document from my home screen library, even though its name is still the correct one. Since it had been saved in iCloud I tried reopening it from the cloud but, again, the "wrong" document showed up. Eventually, I tried closing both on the Home screen and I was able to recover a former version of the document before it was overwritten.

Working on iPad pro 5th 12,9 256 ios 16.4.1 

I'm unsure from your description what you mean by "project".

In the iPad Affinity apps, especially on the Home Screen, that term can have a specific meaning, as in this screenshot:

image.png.2f9b19b470888a1c87a5a72eb1c1dc76.png

A Project in that sense is a kind of folder, which can hold multiple documents/files. And if that's what you're referring to, the thumbnail you get in the Live Docs view on the Home Screen is determined by the last document/file you worked on in that project.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Thanks for the clarification. Using more precise terms can be important for proper understanding :)

Sorry; I don't know what might be causing your problem.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• Staff

Hi @Amber_Mtl,

Are you able to replicate this or did it just happen the once?

If you are able to replicate it, could you attach a screen recording showing the issue?  Just i've not been able to replicate the issue on 2 iPads i have here, i get the correct file each time.

Hi Stokerg, unfortunately I couldn’t replicate it. The issue occurred after opening a document and going back to the Home Screen. Should’ve record the screen then but I was too concerned about loosing my document… Will try again to replicate and post any results.

• 10 months later...

Hello, I am having the same issue as Amber with my Affinity Designer ipad app!  I was trying to learn how to create presets and manage my gallery.  I only have a few documents, and I noticed that the document I was trying to drop into a project folder now had the name of another unrelated document.  And that original document content was gone…replaced by the document I was moving.

I made two test documents, and tried to drag one onto the other.  Affinity just created a project folder and placed both documents inside.

I have no idea at what point this occurred, because I didn’t notice right away.  The only thing I have is a screen shot of my original document titled “salad,” but the contents are a color palettes document.

This happened to me another time as well, quite some time ago, but I thought I didn’t save the document correctly.  Now I know that wasn’t the case, because this time I had not been working in either document.  I may have accidentally opened them while tapping around, but I couldn’t say for sure.

I don’t want to use this app until I know what is going on!

Thank you,

Jill