You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

(AF Publisher v2 desktop Mac) "Show/Hide" menu controls... don't

Finally trying out Publisher. Nice to see it'll import pdf's as layout files, not nice to see it can't import my Creative Suite 6 .indd InDesign files.

Even less nice to see that most of the Show/Hide toggles in the view window... well, just don't work. They just don't. I was able to turn off margins, bleed, guides, text flow — but when going to toggle them back on? "ZFG", says Publisher.

Ouch.

27 minutes ago, Mike Swartzbeck said:

Finally trying out Publisher. Nice to see it'll import pdf's as layout files, not nice to see it can't import my Creative Suite 6 .indd InDesign files.

Even less nice to see that most of the Show/Hide toggles in the view window... well, just don't work. They just don't. I was able to turn off margins, bleed, guides, text flow — but when going to toggle them back on? "ZFG", says Publisher.

Ouch.

Excuse the self reply; a quick update: the Show/Hide menu issue re: margins, bleed, guides etc only appears to crop up when trying to work with an imported pdf. A new, fresh document doesn't have this issue.

2 hours ago, Mike Swartzbeck said:

not nice to see it can't import my Creative Suite 6 .indd InDesign files

The .indd files have a proprietary format that Publisher can't understand. You'll need to convert them to IDML format.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

2 hours ago, Mike Swartzbeck said:

Excuse the self reply; a quick update: the Show/Hide menu issue re: margins, bleed, guides etc only appears to crop up when trying to work with an imported pdf. A new, fresh document doesn't have this issue.

Can you clarify what you mean by an "imported" PDF? Can you share a .afpub file where you can't turn these items on?

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

5 hours ago, Mike Swartzbeck said:

Can you clarify whether the menu command is not becoming selected when you choose it or whether it appears to have no effect?

I can't duplicate any issues with these commands with imported PDF files.

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.2 for macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)

On 5/5/2023 at 9:15 PM, MikeTO said:

Can you clarify whether the menu command is not becoming selected when you choose it or whether it appears to have no effect?

I can't duplicate any issues with these commands with imported PDF files.

The menu command seems to select normally, but appears to have no effect.

Strangely, a fresh .afpub file created for a test behaved OK. I observed this in an imported .pdf exported from Adobe InDesign CS6. Everything seemed to import OK, but when I turned off the margin guides, I couldn't get them to come back on again. The menu would show as selected, but I never could get them to show again. I think I was still able to toggle the text frames/flow outlines.

The document I imported was at least 8 years old; maybe that might have had something to do with it...? A 7 or 8 year-old InDesign CS6 print-ready PDF export? (turns out AFpublisher won't open my old .indd files, and needs them saved out in some exotic format I've never heard of. Was hoping to not have to drag the old Intel MacBook Pro out and fire up CS6)

I doubt the age of the InDesign document has anything to do with it but you might look in Document Setup > Margins to see if the margins are somehow being set to 0 when turned off.

Whenever somebody says that turning on margin guides has no effect I assume the margins are set to 0 so the guides are visible but on the page border.

Good luck

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.2 for macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)

You mentioned "importing" a PDF, @Mike Swartzbeck.

That's a bit unclear as terminology. Do you mean that you Opened it, or that you Placed it into an existing document?

If you Opened it, then it would not have Margins or Guides in the first place, and it would not matter whether you had View Guides or View Margins active, or not.

-- Walt
PC: