You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Resolution of images embedded into a PDF file

I get a huge number of PDF files to work with, but a common problem is simple: is the resolution for the embedded pictures high enough? I can simply open the PDF files with AP and they mostly look very good, but is there any chance to check the individuell resolution of the images? The global document resolution does not help cause images can be embedded with different resolutions. Is the resolution information reliable? I'm not sure cause the the following seems also not reliable ...

Also, I can check for the "Document Colour Format", if it is set to CMYK does it mean that the whole Document ist ONLY CMYK or ist ist basically CMYK but other like RGB, ... are possible? Even if the Document Colour Format say CMYK the Colour Palette says RGB. It seems that this is independent from the actually used colourspace, but if so I think it should be switched automatically to the document colour mode.

If the resolution ist correct it would be perfect if the used colour space is displayed nearby.

Or general: is there an alternative if this doesn't work to check the objects in the PDF for resolution and colourspace (except Acrobat)?!

Thanks, as always, for any help :)

Markus

Edited by Markus Dierolf

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017), i7 4.2, Radeon 580 Pro 8 GB, 40 GB DDR4-RAM, 1 TB Flash, macOS 10.14.6

Mann bekommt ja in AD und AP Infos wie Auflösung und Pixelangaben der platzierten Bilder angezeigt. Weißt Du nicht wo oder traust Du den Angaben nicht? Es gibt einige PDF-Editoren, die auch fast alle Infos zu den enthaltenen Bildern liefern, allerdings sind die meisten kostenintensiver als AP. Vielleicht testest Du deshalb kostenlose Vektor-Software oder PDF-Bildexporter.

Ich habe die Angabe von Bildern links oben in der Leiste - aber da es mit der Farbanzeige auch nicht so 100%ig ist bin ich mir unsicher ob das wirklich verlässlich ist. Kann man das bestätigen dass das verlässlich ist, dann wäre nur das Farbsystem noch fraglich - oder steht das auch irgendwo? Soweit ich das überblicke leider nicht. Vielleicht muss ich den Beitrag oben etwas anpassen ...

Ein praktische Analyse und Übersicht wie in Acrobat habe ich leider noch in keinem anderen Programm gefunden. Wenn die Auflösungsangabe noch mit einer Farbsystem-Angabe verbunden und auch verlässlich wäre, dann wäre das genau das was ich bräuchte  :)

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017), i7 4.2, Radeon 580 Pro 8 GB, 40 GB DDR4-RAM, 1 TB Flash, macOS 10.14.6

I get a huge number of PDF files to work with, but a common problem is simple: is the resolution for the embedded pictures high enough? I can simply open the PDF files with AP and they mostly look very good, but is there any chance to check the individuell resolution of the images? The global document resolution does not help cause images can be embedded with different resolutions. Is the resolution information reliable? I'm not sure cause the the following seems also not reliable ...

The resolution for individual embedded images should be reliable. There's currently no way to easily check all the images in a document (although this kind of asset management will eventually be needed for Publisher).

Also, I can check for the "Document Colour Format", if it is set to CMYK does it mean that the whole Document ist ONLY CMYK or ist ist basically CMYK but other like RGB, ... are possible? Even if the Document Colour Format say CMYK the Colour Palette says RGB. It seems that this is independent from the actually used colourspace, but if so I think it should be switched automatically to the document colour mode.

The document colour format is primarily the format in which colours are blended. You can mix images from different formats in the same document, and Affinity will convert (a copy of) them to the document format before using them. Some export formats, such as PDF/X-3, support multiple colours spaces natively, and we strive to preserve RGB data when exporting to those, because the printer can usually do a better job of the conversion. So you can have a CMYK print-ready PDF that contains RGB images.

The colour palette generally reflects the colour space in which you want to edit the colours, not the colour space in which they are stored. For example, if you edit a colour with the HSL colour wheel, it will be stored as HSL and then converted to RGB or CMYK as needed.

Thanks for the reliable info about the resolution Dave :) As you explain it is now clear that it is not the stored colour space. Such a global checking feature for publisher should be very helpfull preparing data.

So in short: at this moment it is not possible to see what colour space a picture uses in a PDF document but the resolution is realiable displayed!? If so, I think it would be very helpfull if the used colour space of the object will be displayed next to the resolution info.

And I'm gladly waiting for Publisher :)