You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Paint Brush Tool doesn't work on mask layer

Hi there, like the topic says:

I have a *.tiff file opened, only one pixel layer.

I created a mask layer.

I clicked on that mask layer to work on it.

I tried to make a stroke on that layer with the paint brush tool (B) in black color, but nothing happens.

(If I try to draw with that same paint brush on the layer which contains the image, the brush works.)

If I take the lasso tool or any tool to create a pixel selection, create a selection on the mask layer, take the filler tool and fill the selection with black, it works.

Do you have any tipps or tricks for me to get the paint brush tool working? In every tutorial I watched it "just" works, without problems. :/

Welcome to the forums.

Look at the Context Toolbar and make sure you don't have the Protect Alpha box checked. (Depending on your window size, it may be off the right edge of the Context Toolbar, behind the >> icon.)

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

You're welcome.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

• 1 month later...

hey guys,

I have a layer mask attached to a pixel layer.

I'd like to add/subtract mask with paint brush tool but it doesnt seem to be working. When I select black or white for paint brush, there's no preview when hovering brush and no effect made to mask

Affinity Photo: 1.10.6

Any ideas?

Screen Shot 2023-05-30 at 11.48.38 AM.png

Screen Shot 2023-05-30 at 1.22.58 PM.png

Edited by 1fish
clarity

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums, @1fish.

There are several possibilities, but without a more complete screenshot it's hard to do anything but guess. Ideally the screenshot would include the complete application window so we can confirm what Tool is selected and see the options in the Context Toolbar.

One guess: As mentioned earlier in this thread, you may have the Protect Alpha option enabled in the Context Toolbar (and the option may be hidden on the right behind the >> icon, depending on your screen size and window width).

-- Walt
PC:

thanks Walt,

just added additional screenshot of entire app

"protect alpha" is unchecked...problem persisting...

.......I think I just discovered the issue. Blend mode was set to Overlay. I set it back to Normal and that seems to have solved the problem

Looks like I'm good to go!

Will post again if I run into any other issues...

Thanks!

Edited by 1fish
Problem resolved

7 minutes ago, 1fish said:

just added additional screenshot of entire app

In that screenshot, you do not have the Mask layer selected....

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7