You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

A lot of software really don't support backwards compatibility, which is why people export to other formats instead and then re-import. I can only think of Blender that reliably supports backwards compatibility, but even there stuff break at some point. I heavily doubt that Serif will take the time to create backwards compatible file formats any time soon if at all when development is so focused on the future of the software.

That said, you can actually copy+paste objects from V2 to V1 and vice versa. As long as the feature exists there won't be any crashes going on. Done it a few times when noticing stuff breaking in some Betas and needed to use the retail versions.

Some applications are better than others at supporting backward compatibility. Out of vector-based "drawing" programs, Adobe Illustrator (IMHO) is the best in this regard. The latest version of Illustrator can open AI & EPS files made in the very first version from the 1980's. It can down-save to any prior Creative Suite version as well as versions 10, 9, 8 and 3. Obviously certain newer features and effects will be flattened or just break when down-saved too far. But that's true for just about any graphics application.

CorelDRAW isn't as good as Illustrator for backward compatibility. The last couple or so versions can't save CDR files back any farther than version X5. And they can't open or import CDR files made prior to version 6. That can be very aggravating to long time users, especially since the CDR format isn't supported by rival applications anywhere near as well as AI, EPS and PDF.

It is short sighted for V2 of Affinity Designer to have no ability to down-save afdesign files to V1 format. An interchange format like EPS or PDF has to be used instead (with associated limitations) to share artwork with people still using V1. OTOH, it's not all that difficult to upgrade. Serif runs pricing specials now and then. I bought the V2 upgrade taking advantage of one of those 50% off specials. 

On 8/7/2023 at 10:55 PM, Bobby Henderson said:

OTOH, it's not all that difficult to upgrade. Serif runs pricing specials now and then. I bought the V2 upgrade taking advantage of one of those 50% off specials.

Ease or cost-effectiveness of upgrading is not an issue.  Being able to access files is.  If I create something in V1, I know that I will be able to open and use that file a year from now or five years from now or even ten or more years from now.  As long as I have a computer capable of running V1, I will be able to open V1 files because I know I can install and activate V1 as long as I don't lose my offline activation codes.  With V2, I have no such assurance.  In a year, five years or ten years or more, Serif could have shut down their license servers, they could have gone out of business, they could have been bought out or a sinkhole could have opened up and swallowed their server farm.  Who knows?  In any event, there is no guarantee that I will be able to activate and use V2 in the future.  And, since I can't downsave a file to V1 and since export options are limited, V2 is a no-go for me and, possibly, others who don't wish to be Adobe'd.