You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Paint Brush and Selection Brush cursors being replaced by regular mouse pointer cursor

Affinity Photo 2.0.4 macOS 13.3.1 iMac M1

Cannot be consistently reproduced:

Sometimes when using the selection brush while in "Refine..." mode the brush cursor is replaced by the regular mouse pointer cursor.

Can be consistently reproduced:

In "Refine..." mode after changing the adjustment brush the mouse pointer cursor does not automatically change over to the brush cursor once I leave the "Refine Selection" dialog, i.e. I have to click somewhere either in the image or outside of it to get the brush cursor back.

Cannot be consistently reproduced:

Sometimes the paint brush tool cursor changes over to the regular mouse pointer cursor while painting.

Edited by WalterS
Left out hardware spec

• Staff

Hi WalterS,

I'm struggling to reproduce the issue you mentioned regarding the refine selection mode if possible could you provide a screen recording or steps demonstrating how to recreate this issue? In regards to the other problems you have reported it may be worth trying our latest beta build available from the below link to see if they still occur.

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/181008-how-to-participate-in-the-affinity-beta-software-program/

Thanks
C

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

I've never used the Refine feature but I've had the wrong mouse pointer several times in Affinity. It's just a cosmetic issue so I've never particularly worried about it. I'll keep an eye out for it and see if I can come up with a repeatable set of steps but each of these scenarios would be unique so fixing one won't necessarily fix another.

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.2 for macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)

It's very annoying when doing detailed work. I can't see the contours of the brush until I click on the photo and then I find out the brush is too big or whatever and I have to undo. I also can't resize the brush while it's been replaced by the mouse pointer. Just very annoying.

Here's a screen video of the problem of the brush cursor not appearing after leaving the refine dialog. That's to say, I have to click on the photo or somewhere else to make the brush cursor appear. I also cannot resize the brush until the brush cursor is brought back. I cannot reproduce the other problem with the brush cursor being replaced by the mouse pointer while painting, both in refine selection mode and while using the paint brush tool. 

However there's a reproduction of it in the following YouTube video starting at the 3:23 mark: 

• Staff

Hi @WalterS,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
This is something we were partially aware. This issue also manifests the other way around, that is, the cursor remains as brush's circle while you try to adjust the settings in the Refine Selection panel (this one happens when you paint a large or long stroke and "rest" the mouse over the Refine Selection dialog while the app is still processing the stroke you painted - as soon as it finishes the cursors reverts to a brush's circle making it difficult to adjust the controls/sliders).
I'm updating the existing/internal report to include both cases. Thanks for your feedback.