You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How to merge Selections of Pen Drawings in AP?

I should mask a fine structure and it is only possible to select this lines properly by help of the pen.

The problem:

1. As soon as I draw a second spoke, and click the Selection button, the 1st selection will be deleted.

2. If I do all my pen drawings and group them, the Selection button can not be used on the group.

Is there a hidden function I didn't discover yet? I tried already Shift, Alt and Cmd + Selection button, unfortunately no one has an "Add" effect...

post-15247-0-13337900-1456499875_thumb.png

With this background, it's impossible to use the existing selection tools for usable results. (Is it?)

I really would appreciate any help.

Cheers, Roland

Roland Rick

Roland Rick Photography
Pipobike Mountainbike Guide and Driving Instructor

iMac 27 5K Retina (Late 2013), MBP 15" Retina (Something 2013), MBP13" Retina (Early 2015)

How can you click the Selection button on a group of polygons? Please see the snap shot attachment. My AP version is 1.4.1.

Polygon Group also attached.

post-15247-0-66272500-1456527980_thumb.png

Polygon Group.zip

Roland Rick

Roland Rick Photography

iMac 27 5K Retina (Late 2013), MBP 15" Retina (Something 2013), MBP13" Retina (Early 2015)

Hi Lee

Ich have only Mouse or Track Pad. Unfortunately no Tablet. Also with Tablet the usage of free hand is almost impossible.

I attached the original.

Good luck with the Freehand tool on the spokes in the meadow section ;)

post-15247-0-79638200-1456528835_thumb.jpg

Hi Roland,

Have you tried using the Free hand selection tool, it has the Add option so you can do multiple selections and the Subtract and Refine options to tidy the selections up.

Roland Rick

Roland Rick Photography

You posted after me so make sure you look above.

Also re: freehand tool... remember there's a straight line mode. I did the selection below pretty quick (I also wasn't trying to be super duper accurate... ).

Whether you do it "freehand" or with shapes...... it's gonna take a while  :blink:.

With shapes though you do have the benefit of bezier handles, and yes even these spokes are not totally straight. 

post-12544-0-03168700-1456530510_thumb.png

Hi Jimmy and Lee

Many thanks for your suggestion, they helped :D

Always ask the evangelists ;)

The 51% opacity is the hint. How could you know? Didn't find this documented...

The "Selection from Pixel Layer" helped also. :) OK, not all functions are available as button ;)

And thanks for the hint with the straight edges. The best 5K screen does not help, if I do not read  :rolleyes: Sitting to long in front of screen I got puzzled...

Thanks once more!

Roland Rick

Roland Rick Photography

Pipo, sorry I should have been more clear.

The over 50% thing is just to get the marching ants to be visible. 

Under 50 and there's is still a selection, try it.

Photoshop has a warning about this type of thing. Affinity should too.

Also.... should have mentioned.... whatever percentage you use, that will be the percentage of the selection.

A selection made from a 60% object will result in a 60% opacity fill or brushing, even if the brush is set to 100%.

So the working process would be: draw your shapes with a transparency so you can see what the heck you're doing. Then for the final "make selection" pump them up to 100%.

My take away......... clearly AP needs paths.

Oh... :) .... not an evangelist. Just anti monopolies  :ph34r:  .