You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Data merge front and back with same record

Hello,

I am trying to data merge a mailer:

• On the front I need a the customers full name and the address block.
  • On the back I need the same customers salutation and a unique code.
  • The csv file has the data with all fields in each column with each individual record in rows.

I have created the document and when I preview the merge the same customer is display front and back as I require.

However, when I generate the the records file the front (page 1)  has record 1 and the back (page 2) has record 2 on the new publisher file. I have tried to place the data merge layout on page 1 and 2 as well as on A-Master and B-Master to no avail.

What setting should I have on the data merge to ensure that page 1 and 2 has the same record and all subsequent records?

Many thanks,

Steven

Hi David,

Thanks for reply to my question. Unfortunately this wouldn't be feasible for me as my customer supplied CSV files contain thousand of entries and I create these mailers on a daily basis.

Thank you for taking the time to look at this for me. It's very much appreciated.

Steven

Here is my take on it. I really don't have any idea on what you want, I have had to guess that you want one sheet of paper with stuff on one side and some of that stuff on the second side plus one other thing.

untitled folder.zip

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

10 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

Here is my take on it.

I was hoping you'd chime in, sadly I cannot learn your procedure as I only have V1 but have a like anyway

My final suggestion was going to be do two runs then combine the files with something like PDFSam

image.png.8cb9753fddd1d759e6a8e903672e4118.png

PDFSam.zip

Microsoft Windows 11 Home, Intel i7-1360P 2.20 GHz, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Intel Iris Xe
Affinity Photo - 24/05/20, Affinity Publisher - 06/12/20, KTM Superduke - 27/09/10

4 minutes ago, David in Яuislip said:

I cannot learn your procedure as I only have V1

Version 1 and 2.zip

And again I have to add that I really do not know what @srdscott is actually wanting. I am working on my assumption that it is a two sided sheet of paper.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

Hi guys,

A big thank you for looking into this for me. So basically the document will be a A4 double side mailer with 3mm bleed. Side 1 with address. Side 2 with the salutation and the unique code which will be sent to the customer. I'll then take the merged pdf and impose these 2 up on and SRA3 sheet with trim marks. The imposition will happen later on other software.

I've saved a mock-up publisher file as well as the csv file for reference. I hope this makes sense. Apologies if not.

Sample.zip

16 minutes ago, srdscott said:

A big thank you for looking into this for me.

You're very welcome, however, a word of advice, if you ever post another question about about data merge wait for Old Bruce's answer and give anything by me a wide swerve

Microsoft Windows 11 Home, Intel i7-1360P 2.20 GHz, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Intel Iris Xe
Affinity Photo - 24/05/20, Affinity Publisher - 06/12/20, KTM Superduke - 27/09/10

1 minute ago, David in Яuislip said:

You're very welcome, however, a word of advice, if you ever post another question about about data merge wait for Old Bruce's answer and give anything by me a wide swerve

Haha not at all. I'm leaving my place of work and have used InDesign back in the days since it was called Aldus PageMaker (20 odd years). I have been seamlessly merging mailers for years but there's no way I am paying those prices for creative cloud. I've just downloaded Affinity the past two days and trying to get my head around it. I'm impressed so far. If I can nail these mailers I will be certainly buying the affinity suite.

thanks,

Steven

I am not sure if you had this fixed already but here is the solution anyway.

sample_fixed.afpub

A sample of merged document:

double_sided_merged.pdf

In case you did not resolve this, whenever you need to place data from the same record on separate pages (specifically on front and back of the same sheet), you need to have multiple Data Merge Layouts (as you did), but additionally handle the record pointer so that on the first page the pointer is not advanced, so that data is picked from the same record. The second Data Merge Layout then advances the record pointer. I additionally made sure that controls that receive data are placed as children of the data control. You had separate Data Merge Layout controls for the two fields on the back side, which can be done, but then you should make sure that the one at the bottom of the Layers panel also has zero as record advance value, so that the record pointer is only advanced after processing the topmost control in the Layers panel.