You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Suite v2.0.4 on linux [ Wine ]

Wanesty

Prob stupid question. Did Wine 8.10 finish PE conversion? and is the goal of PE meant so you only have to build 64bit wine yet still run 32bit applications; in other words no reliance on building 32bit wine? or have a misunderstood? I ask because it may be worth switching to that instead as it may solve fedora issues as fedora ain't great to build 32bit wine, come to think most distros it is a hassle.

Rafael Brucart: And stupid answer to address this question: I don't think so. ElementalWarrior raised affinity-branch just now (OK maybe month back) because ver. 8.7 was current then and today is 8.10 and another version preparing just to be released. As I see it, there is no point to chase the ghost because for some reason Wine development is now very fast. In my repository is new wine (rolling-release distribution) prepared almost every new boot.

The best way is to get rid of affinity branch entirely and simply apply patches to mainline/master branch in Wine git. But since Wine development policy is not to accept hacks, well best way is no need for them. In example as I get it, WinRT patch is there just to fool Affinity apps. No unnecessary bloat, no need to hack it to circumvent them. Reason why I've asked for Light version.

Promote this idea and maybe it might get us somewhere.

55 minutes ago, Grunt said:

In example as I get it, WinRT patch is there just to fool Affinity apps

No. James's (ElementalWarrior) implementation of the WinRT files is not made to fool Affinity apps:

it's made to help wine understand when DotNet is asking it for said files.

From my understanding it's also why Mono doesn't support Affinity, as Mono does not know what to do when affinity is sending those calls.

10 hours ago, Rafael Brucart said:

Prob stupid question. Did Wine 8.10 finish PE conversion? and is the goal of PE meant so you only have to build 64bit wine yet still run 32bit applications; in other words no reliance on building 32bit wine? or have a misunderstood? I ask because it may be worth switching to that instead as it may solve fedora issues as fedora ain't great to build 32bit wine, come to think most distros it is a hassle.

If that's the case i haven't heard of it, would be nice to have since it would cut the compile time in half, especially useful for low end hardware.

Quote me if you ever stumble upon this info again.

10 hours ago, Rafael Brucart said:

as it may solve fedora issues

If my internet bandwidth was good enough i would have uploaded compiled wine releases to the Codeberg page.. If i ever have the opportunity to, i'll try to think about doing it, with disclaimers and all.

up to date guide for the Affinity Suite on Linux :  codeberg.org/affinity-wine-docs

Ok so I don't know if this works the way I think but with my logic if a correct Wine Install differs from in file number or file size then the compiling process didn't work correctly, otherwise wine doesn't work correctly for some other reason.

If that's correct would anyone like to compare?

image.png.2307f6435ff43a40043cd872858ecd9a.png

I got 4 folders inside:

- bin

- include

- lib

Hi there!
I've been able to install all 3 apps of the suite, following the guide on Codeberg. All is well, everything works great.
I do want to point out a couple glitches though, so that maybe someone smarter than me might identify the cause and even maybe fix them?

I've made video clips of all three:
- Curve paths are displayed inaccurately. The actual shape is ok, but the UI curve showed on top is not calculated correctly.
- Using the stabiliser (with the brush tool, for example) there are some graphical glitches, showing shooting lasers from the stabiliser :D
- Freehand selection tool has some weird vertical/horizontal lines showing.

I can provide more information about my system, but I think the most relevant thing to say right now is that I'm using the vulkan renderer.

6 hours ago, Vermoot said:

- Curve paths are displayed inaccurately. The actual shape is ok, but the UI curve showed on top is not calculated correctly.

Said curves likely are rendered using Windows Presentation on DirectX 9 while the viewport/canvas itself is from my understanding using DX11 / DX12

6 hours ago, Vermoot said:

- Using the stabiliser (with the brush tool, for example) there are some graphical glitches, showing shooting lasers from the stabiliser :D
- Freehand selection tool has some weird vertical/horizontal lines showing.

Most likely the same reason.

I tried DXVK once some time ago and it didn't go well but it may have changed since, so replacing your wineprefix's directx dlls with dxvk and vkd3d could be an option. (get the compiled dlls from the release page)

Grunt tried it a few weeks ago and it seemed to work so give it a shot if you feel like it !

Edited by Wanesty

up to date guide for the Affinity Suite on Linux :  codeberg.org/affinity-wine-docs

16 hours ago, Wanesty said:

Grunt tried it a few weeks ago and it seemed to work so give it a shot if you feel like it !

Just to clarify: I haven't been successful. 

0e0:fixme:system:QueryDisplayConfig (00000004 000000000051C2F8 00007FE2AF6C5D60 000000000051C2F4 00007FE2A97B6180 000000000051C380): semi-stub
00e0:fixme:system:QueryDisplayConfig only returning active paths
00e0:fixme:system:QueryDisplayConfig setting toplogyid to DISPLAYCONFIG_TOPOLOGY_INTERNAL
00e0:fixme:system:NtUserDisplayConfigGetDeviceInfo Unimplemented packet type 11.
00e0:fixme:vulkan:X11DRV_vkCreateWin32SurfaceKHR Application requires child window rendering, which is not implemented yet!
err:   D3D11SwapChain: Failed to recreate surface: VK_ERROR_INCOMPATIBLE_DRIVER
err:   DXGI: CreateSwapChainForHwnd: Failed to create swap chain, hr -2147467259

It's still the same story. Child window rendering for Vulkan isn't implemented in mainline Wine but patch already exist (is implemented in Proton) but I haven't been successful to combine all necessary patches so I gave up.  But yes, encountering these bugs was the primary motivation to try alternative graphical back-ends.

Wine uses probably D2D with lesser accuracy, so combining path in D2D and D3D gives different Bézier curves. Right now I have a little different task, but give me little time to get back on track.

Edit:

Here is bug thread (with patches), and here culprit:

/* TODO: support child window rendering. */
    if (create_info->hwnd && NtUserGetAncestor(create_info->hwnd, GA_PARENT) != NtUserGetDesktopWindow())
    {
        FIXME("Application requires child window rendering, which is not implemented yet!\n");
        return VK_ERROR_INCOMPATIBLE_DRIVER;
    }

Child window rendering (for Vulkan) is affecting much more applications so I guess it might be resolved in the very near future. Just watch it.

8 hours ago, Grunt said:

Child window rendering (for Vulkan) is affecting much more applications so I guess it might be resolved in the very near future. Just watch it.

this will likely be there around the time they get to add full wayland support. lets hope anyway ahah

8 hours ago, Grunt said:

Wine uses probably D2D with lesser accuracy, so combining path in D2D and D3D gives different Bézier curves. Right now I have a little different task, but give me little time to get back on track.

yep would make sense

8 hours ago, Grunt said:

but patch already exist (is implemented in Proton)

i thought about it a few times but never came around to try :
how doable would it be to make James implementation, as the commits into a .patch ? (and thus add it to, for example wineTKG, along side said patches and other ones)

On 6/11/2023 at 10:18 AM, Wanesty said:

ugh i should just try it on a fedora install

I just came from Fedora. I tried manually building in a Debian container, then tried Grunts PKGBUILD in an Arch container, and Daegalus's podman. Nothing worked, so I assumed it was something I was doing. But now I've just switched to native Arch and did Daegalus's pod again. It is working. I can think of only these things:

I believe the installer was running in Fedora only that for whatever reason it occupied 0 pixels on screen. If someone has Fedora they could try the following:

1. Before running the installer

rum ElementalWarrior-[version] $HOME/.wineAffinity winecfg

2. Go to Graphics setting and enable "Emulate a virtual desktop", put in your monitor resolution

3. Now run the installer command:

rum ElementalWarrior-[version] $HOME/.wineAffinity wine [Path to the installer].exe

The second thing I can think of was case sensitivity for the "WinMetadata" in which case someone could try duplicating it and changing it to lower case.

And the third is perhaps Fedora needs more than "wine" and "winetricks" installed, maybe some other supporting package.

Has anybody got Affinity running on Fedora as of yet?

Also on another note, I am using Affinity Suite 2.1.1 and for me it crashes on creating a New Document. I have to run "winetricks renderer=vulkan" to get it working in virtual desktop which breaks native desktop, for which I revert back with ..."winetricks renderer=gl". However I started again with a fresh prefix and it all worked fine, so not sure what was going on.

8 hours ago, Rafael Brucart said:

I just came from Fedora. I tried manually building in a Debian container, then tried Grunts PKGBUILD in an Arch container, and Daegalus's podman. Nothing worked, so I assumed it was something I was doing. But now I've just switched to native Arch and did Daegalus's pod again. It is working. I can think of only these things

Guys, seriously? What the hell? I can't watch this anymore. Here are extracted repo patches:

Wine-git_patches.tar.xz

Clone standard Wine mainline repository, apply patches (git am or git apply), build wine and proceed as usual. I myself have here wine 8.10 from Git working just fine. There is no need for:

• Containers
  • rum, bottles,idkwhatsandbox
  • technically not even winetricks if you know how to install dotNET4.8

Keep it as simple and vanilla as possible. There is no trick. And preferably use you distribution method for creating binary packages (patches can be applied almost to anything) or simply follow Building Wine guide. Don't use containers.

My previous intention was to create binary packages for Ubuntu (and clones) but i just grew aggravated (by Ubuntu) more and more. I can't bear Ubuntu. Not anymore.

So, I decided to switch this task on Debian (I guess it's your lucky day). Right know I'm facing some issues and I don't have enough time, but my intention is to create packages for Debian and run Affinity and Wine on Debian. Wish me luck.

9 hours ago, Grunt said:

Guys, seriously? What the hell? I can't watch this anymore. Here are extracted repo patches:

So perhaps I wasn't clear in my post but I was adding some suggestions strictly for people having issues with Fedora, because I had issues with Fedora, now I am on Arch and all is fine.

But I challenge you to build your patched wine on native Fedora (no containers) by simply following the Building Wine and have it run -goodluck. Also I don't even think Wine is the issue, for whatever reason the Affinity installer runs but with no visible UI on Fedora, hence someone could try to emulate the desktop to fix.

Also it maybe worth considering you're on a graphics design forum (not a linux forum) for software that doesn't supply a native Linux installer. What you consider simple can be challenging for others like myself who are not the greatest with the terminal but would rather spend hours in a struggle than stay with a working Microsoft Windows.

Moreover I had no issues using containers as the Wine builds are the same file size and number as people have posted on this forum. So for Fedora you need to use toolbox or podman. Not only to avoid flooding your system with needless packages but because to my knowledge, experience, and research Wine does not build natively on Fedora either easily or without missing functionality - again prove me wrong, and I welcome others to try.

Tldr; Whatever guide you want to post up however simple is irrelevant to my post unless you did it on Fedora.

---

Lastly thank you. Your efforts along Wanesty have allowed me (and I would bet many others) to leave Microsoft for good.

... goodluck with Debian ;)

17 hours ago, Rafael Brucart said:

I just came from Fedora. I tried manually building in a Debian container, then tried Grunts PKGBUILD in an Arch container, and Daegalus's podman. Nothing worked, so I assumed it was something I was doing. But now I've just switched to native Arch and did Daegalus's pod again. It is working. I can think of only these things:

I believe the installer was running in Fedora only that for whatever reason it occupied 0 pixels on screen. If someone has Fedora they could try the following:

1. Before running the installer

rum ElementalWarrior-[version] $HOME/.wineAffinity winecfg

2. Go to Graphics setting and enable "Emulate a virtual desktop", put in your monitor resolution

3. Now run the installer command:

rum ElementalWarrior-[version] $HOME/.wineAffinity wine [Path to the installer].exe

The second thing I can think of was case sensitivity for the "WinMetadata" in which case someone could try duplicating it and changing it to lower case.

And the third is perhaps Fedora needs more than "wine" and "winetricks" installed, maybe some other supporting package.

Has anybody got Affinity running on Fedora as of yet?

Also on another note, I am using Affinity Suite 2.1.1 and for me it crashes on creating a New Document. I have to run "winetricks renderer=vulkan" to get it working in virtual desktop which breaks native desktop, for which I revert back with ..."winetricks renderer=gl". However I started again with a fresh prefix and it all worked fine, so not sure what was going on.

I have it running on Fedora, and I compiled mine using my container. 

I just followed the guide. I got the WinMetadata from a Windows install. Copied it as is directly from the partition. 

I'm still using it now. Though, I always run my stuff through Bottles. I can share my bottle config if it makes a difference 

45 minutes ago, Daegalus said:

I have it running on Fedora, and I compiled mine using my container. 

I just followed the guide. I got the WinMetadata from a Windows install. Copied it as is directly from the partition. 

I'm still using it now. Though, I always run my stuff through Bottles. I can share my bottle config if it makes a difference 

I now believe I could not get it to work on Fedora because I had set in my bash env: QT_QPA_PLATFORM=wayland    to force QT applications to use wayland. Evidently this breaks stuff. I should have left QT as xcb, rendering in x11... so essentially I forced Wine into a bug outside its control, my mistake.
https://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=41182
https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=266967

2 hours ago, Wanesty said:

curious about it since my attempts with bottles were unsuccessful

I mean ya, that is still a problem. I had to install it the manual way using the external winetricks install. The ticket I opened and you commented in is still open on their github: https://github.com/bottlesdevs/Bottles/issues/2828

Anyways, I have attached my bottles config. Not sure how much it will help, it's fairly default settings.

backup_Affinity.yml

2 hours ago, Daegalus said:

I have attached my bottles config

"use_be_runtime: true" did you notice any differences with the bottles runtime turned on or off ?

2 hours ago, Daegalus said:

I mean ya, that is still a problem. I had to install it the manual way using the external winetricks install

yea okay that's what i was most curious about, glad it worked out tho, and yes i can see the appeal of bottles, especially flatpak +flatseal bottles, this is why i added it on my guide x)

Hi, after several days of total pain with not being able to get the installer to show, it results that I needed to activate the Virtual Desktop, almost destroy my keyboard when I realized the real issue, so if you don't see the installer window (in my case i saw the icon in the dash -- Ubuntu -- and some activity in terminal) try adding the VD.

On 6/28/2023 at 2:04 AM, edg22 said:

Hi, after several days of total pain with not being able to get the installer to show, it results that I needed to activate the Virtual Desktop, almost destroy my keyboard when I realized the real issue, so if you don't see the installer window (in my case i saw the icon in the dash -- Ubuntu -- and some activity in terminal) try adding the VD.

updated the troubleshoot page ! :)

55 minutes ago, MrSojek said:

Did you have any problems with network access? I'm stuck at the splash screen which seems to be related to network connections.

Are you able to close it or get on an other tab ? if not :

can you send a screenshot of the "Libraries" tab in winecfg ? (if there is something, if not : ignore this)
see how to open winecfg

Also,
Which version of Affinity and which version of Wine ?
Are you using the GL renderer or the Vulkan renderer ? (see winetricks renderer)

54 minutes ago, Wanesty said:

Are you able to close it or get on an other tab ? if not :

can you send a screenshot of the "Libraries" tab in winecfg ? (if there is something, if not : ignore this)
see how to open winecfg

Also,
Which version of Affinity and which version of Wine ?
Are you using the GL renderer or the Vulkan renderer ? (see winetricks renderer)

Hi,

The splash screen can be closed by clicking the OK button but the program doesn't start.
There is nothing in my Libraries tab in winecfg.
Affinity Designer is version 2.1.1
I also tried version 1.10.6, everything seems to be working fine but can't download sample due to problems with network connection.
Wine 7.9 and GL renderer.

designer.jpg

Edited by MrSojek

1 hour ago, MrSojek said:

everything seems to be working fine but can't download sample due to problems with network connection

it look like it cannot access the microsoft store to check the price, look at the console logs it's probably something like that.

maybe try different WinMetadata files and/or try deleting your prefix and starting over from the Setting up your Wineprefix part

EDIT : the clean antialiasing makes me think that you're using bottles, please check your wincfg "Libraries" tab because Bottles often block mshtml :

image.png.41e60097a6ed3cceb7c9df11654cac92.png

(a screenshot of a random bottle that have mshtml disabled)

It does this to prevent wine to try and reinstall mono after you uninstalled it manually.

On 6/27/2023 at 11:07 PM, Daegalus said:

I mean ya, that is still a problem. I had to install it the manual way using the external winetricks install. The ticket I opened and you commented in is still open on their github: https://github.com/bottlesdevs/Bottles/issues/2828

Anyways, I have attached my bottles config. Not sure how much it will help, it's fairly default settings.

backup_Affinity.yml 1.68 kB · 9 downloads

What is interesting is that the problem with installing dotnet48 in the bottle in my case occurs only in ElementalWarrior's wine fork. If I select a different wine runner and install the dotnet48 dependency from Bottles, the Affinity installation runs without a problem. I was unable to get Affinity Designer (2.1.1 and 1.10.6) working with ElementalWarrior's wine fork. However, I discovered that Designer runs in a Bottles with the wine-ge-proton8-8 runner. I'm running Designer 1.10.6. After creating a wine-ge-proton8-8 bottle, all I did was to install dotnet48 and allfonts from the dependencies and change the render to vulkan (after the installation process). While testing version 2.1.1, I additionally copied the WinMetadata files, as the program was crashing on startup. At the moment, I'm testing Designer version 1, because I have a license for this version. Designer seems to work surprisingly well. Occasionally (when finishing working with a file) an error message from the Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library is displayed (Assertion failed!, Expression: !status). Clicking the Skip button closes the message, and I don't see any negative effects. If anyone wants to test this wine build without Bottles, it can be downloaded from GloriousEggroll custom wine builds: https://github.com/GloriousEggroll/wine-ge-custom/releases/tag/GE-Proton8-8 

Information about my configuration:
Ubuntu 22.04, GNOME 42.5, Wayland
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960, NVIDIA-SMI 530.41.03, Driver Version: 530.41.03, CUDA Version: 12.1