You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Suite v2.0.4 on linux [ Wine ]

Wanesty

Since a few peoples were interested in a "guide" to get Affinity v2 working on Linux here it is,

Before asking for help or sending logs here try and troubleshoot issues yourself with WineHQ's documentation :
https://wiki.winehq.org/Wine_User's_Guide
https://wiki.winehq.org/Building_Wine

Before anything else I'd like to state that this does NOT deliver a stable nor 1:1 experience to what Windows10/11 will give you but i believe it to be an important step for Serif to witness Affinity's potential on the Linux ecosystem.
And that yes peoples like us, going to this hacky extent to get your products working on our OS of choice is meaningful so please consider your marketing impact if a native version were to exist.

An other note to Serif, Affinity's devs and managers :

Spoiler

we understand the initial Windows porting was a big amount of work since it initially started as a macOS products but : you now have both a unix and MS version, merging the two(with meaningful effort) to get a native Linux version shouldn't be as much of a barrier as the statement you made in 2014-2017.

Also considering you built your own, independent and reliable way to check licenses : distributing it, (as a .deb, .rpm, or on Flatpak (Flathub)) is easier than ever.

If a Linux version is ever discussed again, consider shipping it with most dependencies it needs (as many apps installing themselves in /opt/<app>), using Mesa for OpenGL, OpenCL and Vulkan (dxvk license allow you to redistribute it) And supporting Waylands since X11 is pretty much dead.

up to date guide for the Affinity Suite on Linux :  codeberg.org/affinity-wine-docs

You will need, gcc, winetricks, git (wine build dependencies listed here)
plus some knowledge of both linux and windows

cd into ~/Documents and download Elemental Warrior wine fork :

cd ~/Documents/

git clone https://gitlab.winehq.org/ElementalWarrior/wine.git ElementalWarrior-wine

cd into it and make three new folders :

cd ElementalWarrior-wine/

mkdir wine32-build/ wine64-build/ wine-install/

cd into wine64-build, configure it with your $USER and build it (it will time wait for it to finish) :

cd wine64-build/

/home/USER/Documents/ElementalWarrior-wine/configure --prefix=/home/YOUR-USER-FOLDER/Documents/ElementalWarrior-wine/wine-install --enable-win64

make

cd into wine32-build and do these :

cd /home/USER/Documents/ElementalWarrior-wine/wine32-build/

PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/usr/lib32/pkgconfig /home/USER/Documents/ElementalWarrior-wine/configure --with-wine64=/home/USER/Documents/ElementalWarrior-wine/wine64-build --prefix=/home/YOUE-USER-FOLDER/Documents/ElementalWarrior-wine/wine-install

make

wait for it to finish building and install the wine32-build with :

make install

it will install it in "wine-install"

then to add the wine64 cd into it and do the same :

cd /home/USER/Documents/ElementalWarrior-wine/wine64-build

make install

you now have a folder containing a build of ElementalWarrior's wine fork

to use it I'll recommend you get rum a script made by "xhero" to have and use multiples Wine installs side by side :

cd ~/Documents

git clone https://gitlab.com/xkero/rum

install rum into your /bin or any other $PATH so you can call it easily :

sudo cp ./rum/rum /bin/rum

now for rum to find your Wine build you will need to make a new folder "/opt/wines" and copy your wine build into it :

sudo mkdir /opt/wines

sudo cp -r ~/Documents/ElementalWarrior-wine/wine-install/ /opt/wines/ElementalWarrior-8.3

you can now install dotnet 48 and "corefonts" with winetricks using :

rum ElementalWarrior-8.3 "/home/USER/.WineAffinity" winetricks dotnet48 corefonts

this will create a new Wine Prefix ".WineAffinity" (pretty much a new windows environment) using "ElementalWarrior-8.3" wine folder and install dotnet48

you then need to set wine's win version back to win11 :

rum ElementalWarrior-8.3 "/home/USER/.WineAffinity" wine winecfg -v win11

you will need a to get Winmd files from a windows virtual machine, partition or from a friend
the folder is :

C:/Windows/System32/WinMetadata

and should be copied into your prefix in the same place PREFIX/drive_c/Windows/System32/WinMetadata

you can now download any Affinity 2.0.4 msi.exe, and install it :

rum ElementalWarrior-8.3 "/home/USER/.WineAffinity" wine "PATH-TO-INSTALLER-msi-2.0.4.exe"

you can install all three and use publisher persona to switch between them like you can on windows.

to run the Affinity you installed run :

rum ElementalWarrior-8.3 "/home/USER/.WineAffinity" wine "/home/USER/.WineAffinity/drive_c/Program Files/Affinity/Designer 2/Designer.exe

rum ElementalWarrior-8.3 "/home/USER/.WineAffinity" wine "/home/USER/.WineAffinity/drive_c/Program Files/Affinity/Photo 2/Photo.exe

rum ElementalWarrior-8.3 "/home/USER/.WineAffinity" wine "/home/USER/.WineAffinity/drive_c/Program Files/Affinity/Publisher 2/Publisher.exe

if you experience visual glitches at any point try to use Vulkan renderer instead of OpenGL with :

rum ElementalWarrior-8.3 "/home/USER/.WineAffinity" winetricks renderer=vulkan

to swap back use :

rum ElementalWarrior-8.3 "/home/USER/.WineAffinity" winetricks renderer=gl

up to date guide for the Affinity Suite on Linux :  codeberg.org/affinity-wine-docs

you will also want to create a .desktop shortcut looking something like this :

~/.local/share/applications/Publisher 2.desktop
-----------------------------------------------------
[Desktop Entry]
Name=Publisher 2
Icon=
Comment=
Categories=Graphics
Terminal=false
Type=Application

Exec=rum ElementalWarrior-8.3 /home/USER/.WineAffinity wine '/home/USER/.WineAffinity/drive_c/Program Files/Affinity/Publisher 2/Publisher.exe'

Hey great guide.

I've tried installing the ElementWarrior Wine fork but I keep getting the following error on my Fedora 37 and couldn't resolve it.

Hope you can give me some tips or help?

Error message:

configure: error: X 64-bit development files not found. Wine will be built
without X support, which probably isn't what you want. You will need
to install 64-bit development packages of Xlib at the very least.
Use the --without-x option if you really want this.

20 hours ago, SevenStart said:
You will need
to install 64-bit development packages of Xlib at the very least

libx11-dev(or similar) is most likely the package you are missing

EDIT : on fedora it's "libX11-devel" https://wiki.winehq.org/Building_Wine#Satisfying_Build_Dependencies

Thanks for this great guide,

on Ubuntu 22.10 i had to do some additional steps to compile wine

sudo apt install flex bison
sudo apt install libx11-dev:i386 libfreetype6-dev:i386

When i start Affinity Photo i see the splash screen, after that the following error occurs

Unhandled Exception: System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly 'Windows.Services.Store.StoreContract, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null, ContentType=WindowsRuntime' or one of its de
pendencies. Path not found.
   at Serif.Affinity.Application.OnServicesInitialised(IServiceProvider serviceProvider)
   at Serif.Interop.Persona.Application.OnStartup(StartupEventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Application.<.ctor>b__1_0(Object unused)
   at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs)
   at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.TryCatchWhen(Object source, Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs, Delegate catchHandler)
   at System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.InvokeImpl()
   at MS.Internal.CulturePreservingExecutionContext.CallbackWrapper(Object obj)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
   at MS.Internal.CulturePreservingExecutionContext.Run(CulturePreservingExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
   at System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.Invoke()
   at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.ProcessQueue()
   at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.WndProcHook(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam, Boolean& handled)
   at MS.Win32.HwndWrapper.WndProc(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam, Boolean& handled)
   at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.DispatcherCallbackOperation(Object o)
   at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs)
   at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.TryCatchWhen(Object source, Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs, Delegate catchHandler)
   at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.LegacyInvokeImpl(DispatcherPriority priority, TimeSpan timeout, Delegate method, Object args, Int32 numArgs)
   at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.SubclassWndProc(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam)
   at MS.Win32.UnsafeNativeMethods.DispatchMessage(MSG& msg)
   at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.PushFrameImpl(DispatcherFrame frame)
   at System.Windows.Application.RunDispatcher(Object ignore)
   at System.Windows.Application.RunInternal(Window window)
   at Photo.Application.Main(String[] args)

3 hours ago, bitpainter75 said:

Thanks for this great guide,

on Ubuntu 22.10 i had to do some additional steps to compile wine

sudo apt install flex bison
sudo apt install libx11-dev:i386 libfreetype6-dev:i386

When i start Affinity Photo i see the splash screen, after that the following error occurs

Unhandled Exception: System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly 'Windows.Services.Store.StoreContract, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null, ContentType=WindowsRuntime' or one of its de
pendencies. Path not found.
   at Serif.Affinity.Application.OnServicesInitialised(IServiceProvider serviceProvider)
   at Serif.Interop.Persona.Application.OnStartup(StartupEventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Application.<.ctor>b__1_0(Object unused)
   at System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.InvokeImpl()
   at MS.Internal.CulturePreservingExecutionContext.CallbackWrapper(Object obj)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
   at MS.Internal.CulturePreservingExecutionContext.Run(CulturePreservingExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
   at System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.Invoke()
   at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.ProcessQueue()
   at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.WndProcHook(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam, Boolean& handled)
   at MS.Win32.HwndWrapper.WndProc(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam, Boolean& handled)
   at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.DispatcherCallbackOperation(Object o)
   at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.LegacyInvokeImpl(DispatcherPriority priority, TimeSpan timeout, Delegate method, Object args, Int32 numArgs)
   at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.SubclassWndProc(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam)
   at MS.Win32.UnsafeNativeMethods.DispatchMessage(MSG& msg)
   at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.PushFrameImpl(DispatcherFrame frame)
   at System.Windows.Application.RunDispatcher(Object ignore)
   at System.Windows.Application.RunInternal(Window window)
   at Photo.Application.Main(String[] args)

Did you copy the winmd files from a real windows install?

On 3/9/2023 at 3:37 PM, Wanesty said:

you will need a to get Winmd files from a windows virtual machine, partition or from a friend
the folder is :

and should be copied into your prefix in the same place PREFIX/drive_c/Windows/System32/WinMetadata

@bitpainter75

On 3/13/2023 at 2:29 PM, bitpainter75 said:

i have also installed the Affinity Version 1.10.6 into this wine environment and it's seams to work.

i believe v1.x versions released before v2.0 initial release¹ doesn't require "Windows.Services.winmd" because of the license checking implementation

¹ : from the top of my head the last version before 2.0 was 1.10.4 or 1.10.5

Edited by Wanesty
¹

On 3/9/2023 at 6:37 AM, Wanesty said:

You will need, gcc, winetricks, git (wine build dependencies listed here)
plus some knowledge of both linux and windows

cd into ~/Documents and download Elemental Warrior wine fork :

cd ~/Documents/

git clone https://gitlab.winehq.org/ElementalWarrior/wine.git ElementalWarrior-wine

cd into it and make three new folders :

cd ElementalWarrior-wine/

mkdir wine32-build/ wine64-build/ wine-install/

cd into wine64-build, configure it with your $USER and build it (it will time wait for it to finish) :

cd wine64-build/

/home/USER/Documents/ElementalWarrior-wine/configure --prefix=/home/YOUR-USER-FOLDER/Documents/ElementalWarrior-wine/wine-install --enable-win64

make

cd into wine32-build and do these :

cd /home/USER/Documents/ElementalWarrior-wine/wine32-build/

PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/usr/lib32/pkgconfig /home/USER/Documents/ElementalWarrior-wine/configure --with-wine64=/home/USER/Documents/ElementalWarrior-wine/wine64-build --prefix=/home/YOUE-USER-FOLDER/Documents/ElementalWarrior-wine/wine-install

make

wait for it to finish building and install the wine32-build with :

make install

it will install it in "wine-install"

then to add the wine64 cd into it and do the same :

cd /home/USER/Documents/ElementalWarrior-wine/wine64-build

make install

you now have a folder containing a build of ElementalWarrior's wine fork

to use it I'll recommend you get rum a script made by "xhero" to have and use multiples Wine installs side by side :

cd ~/Documents

git clone https://gitlab.com/xkero/rum

install rum into your /bin or any other $PATH so you can call it easily :

sudo cp ./rum/rum /bin/rum

now for rum to find your Wine build you will need to make a new folder "/opt/wines" and copy your wine build into it :

sudo mkdir /opt/wines

sudo cp -r ~/Documents/ElementalWarrior-wine/wine-install/ /opt/wines/ElementalWarrior-8.3

you can now install dotnet 48 and "corefonts" with winetricks using :

rum ElementalWarrior-8.3 "/home/USER/.WineAffinity" winetricks dotnet48 corefonts

this will create a new Wine Prefix ".WineAffinity" (pretty much a new windows environment) using "ElementalWarrior-8.3" wine folder and install dotnet48

the folder is :

you can now download any Affinity 2.0.4 msi.exe, and install it :

rum ElementalWarrior-8.3 "/home/USER/.WineAffinity" wine "PATH-TO-INSTALLER-msi-2.0.4.exe"

you can install all three and use publisher persona to switch between them like you can on windows.

to run the Affinity you installed run :

rum ElementalWarrior-8.3 "/home/USER/.WineAffinity" wine "/home/USER/.WineAffinity/drive_c/Program Files/Affinity/Designer 2/Designer.exe

rum ElementalWarrior-8.3 "/home/USER/.WineAffinity" wine "/home/USER/.WineAffinity/drive_c/Program Files/Affinity/Photo 2/Photo.exe

rum ElementalWarrior-8.3 "/home/USER/.WineAffinity" wine "/home/USER/.WineAffinity/drive_c/Program Files/Affinity/Publisher 2/Publisher.exe

if you experience visual glitches at any point try to use Vulkan renderer instead of OpenGL with :

rum ElementalWarrior-8.3 "/home/USER/.WineAffinity" winetricks renderer=vulkan

to swap back use :

rum ElementalWarrior-8.3 "/home/USER/.WineAffinity" winetricks renderer=gl

I do not think you want to do `make install` as part of this for end users. It will overwrite their distribution managed wine versions by install into default paths. A prefix is specified. The former sentence is incorrect.

Especially because you mention managing rum to manage wine versions. Simply doing `make` will build the application inside the build-64 or build-32 directory.

Also when using `make` you probably want to do `make -j4` or -j8 to speed up the build.

From the manpage for make: `man make`

-j [jobs], --jobs[=jobs]
            Specifies  the  number  of  jobs (commands) to run simultaneously.  If there is
            more than one -j option, the last one is effective.  If the -j option is  given
            without an argument, make will not limit the number of jobs that can run simul‐
            taneously.

2 minutes ago, ElementalWarrior said:

I do not think you want to do make install as part of this for end users

i do the make install command copy files in yourfork/wine-install/

before moving it to /opt/wines/thisforkversion

Edited by Wanesty
so no system files are overwrote

2 minutes ago, Wanesty said:

1 minute ago, Wanesty said:

Ah I missed the `--prefix` value. Nvm then

Following this guide or Arch, everything is working as it should (even if it stop responding after exporting a pic or using the lighting filter). Thanks for your efforts.
I wonder if eventually it will be possible to use acceleration hardware, as Photo sees my rtx3060 as a gtx 470

Edited by Crow of Minerva

2 hours ago, Crow of Minerva said:

I wonder if eventually it will be possible to use acceleration hardware

i believe Affinity softs have a "GPU whitelist" so unknown drivers are not supported

(which is hilarious since opengl/opencl implementation on linux with mesa is one of the best)

Just now, Wanesty said:

GPU whitelist

now that i'm thinking about it, it might be possible to appear as an other gpu with dxvk

something like that : https://github.com/doitsujin/dxvk/blob/master/dxvk.conf#L44 ⬇️

# Override PCI vendor and device IDs reported to the application. Can
# cause the app to adjust behaviour depending on the selected values.
#
# Supported values: Any four-digit hex number.

# dxgi.customDeviceId = 0000
# dxgi.customVendorId = 0000

# d3d9.customDeviceId = 0000
# d3d9.customVendorId = 0000

I get the following error when I try to install "affinity-photo-msi-2.0.4.exe"

Setup cannot proceed for the following reasons:

* Supported Windows version not found

Rumming /opt/wines/ElementalWarrior-8.3 (wine-7.9-5442-gdb8b984c1f8) in: /home/mia/.WineAffinity
002c:err:wineboot:process_run_key Error running cmd L"C:\\windows\\system32\\winemenubuilder.exe -a -r" (126).
007c:fixme:hid:handle_IRP_MN_QUERY_ID Unhandled type 00000005
0104:fixme:ntdll:NtQuerySystemInformation info_class SYSTEM_PERFORMANCE_INFORMATION
0114:fixme:wbemprox:wbem_locator_ConnectServer authentication not supported
0114:fixme:wbemprox:wbem_locator_ConnectServer specific locale not supported
0114:fixme:wbemprox:wbem_locator_ConnectServer unsupported flags
0104:fixme:file:NtLockFile I/O completion on lock not implemented yet
0104:fixme:msg:ChangeWindowMessageFilter c04d 00000001
0104:fixme:dwmapi:DwmAttachMilContent (00010070) stub
0118:fixme:gdi:GdiEntry13 stub
0118:err:vulkan:get_vulkan_driver Wine was built without Vulkan support.
0118:err:d3d:wined3d_caps_gl_ctx_create Failed to find a suitable pixel format.
0118:err:d3d:wined3d_adapter_gl_init Failed to get a GL context for adapter 006ACD38.
0118:err:d3d:wined3d_adapter_gl_init Failed to get a GL context for adapter 006ACD38.
0118:fixme:seh:WerRegisterMemoryBlock (0618D934 6144) stub
0118:fixme:seh:WerRegisterMemoryBlock (0618B340 4) stub
0118:fixme:dwrite:dwritefactory_CreateMonitorRenderingParams (00000001): monitor setting ignored
0104:fixme:shell:SHGetStockIconInfo (77, 0x101, 0055E730) semi-stub
0104:fixme:shell:SHGetStockIconInfo flags 0x101 not implemented
0104:fixme:wtsapi:WTSQuerySessionInformationW Unimplemented class 8
0104:fixme:win:RegisterPowerSettingNotification (0001007C,{02731015-4510-4526-99e6-e5a17ebd1aea},0): stub
0104:fixme:wtsapi:WTSRegisterSessionNotification Stub 00030074 0x00000000
0104:fixme:msg:ChangeWindowMessageFilterEx 00030074 c049 1 0055E73C
0104:fixme:msg:ChangeWindowMessageFilterEx 00030074 111 1 0055E73C
0104:fixme:dwrite:dwritetextanalyzer_AnalyzeNumberSubstitution (248413C0 0 34 24846F60): stub
0104:fixme:imm:ImeSetActiveContext (00010054, 1): stub
0104:fixme:imm:ImmReleaseContext (00030074, 00010054): stub
00c8:fixme:imm:ImeSetActiveContext (0000000000010026, 0): stub
00c8:fixme:imm:ImmReleaseContext (0000000000010020, 0000000000010026): stub
0104:fixme:wincodecs:ColorTransform_Initialize ignoring color contexts
012c:fixme:wbemprox:wbem_locator_ConnectServer authentication not supported
012c:fixme:wbemprox:wbem_locator_ConnectServer specific locale not supported
012c:fixme:wbemprox:wbem_locator_ConnectServer unsupported flags
0104:fixme:win:UnregisterPowerSettingNotification (DEADBEEF): stub
0104:fixme:wtsapi:WTSUnRegisterSessionNotification Stub 00030074
0104:fixme:dwmapi:DwmDetachMilContent (00010070) stub
0024:fixme:kernelbase:AppPolicyGetProcessTerminationMethod FFFFFFFA, 2798FE98

I copied the WinMetadata from the Windows 11 VM that Microsoft provides here https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/downloads/virtual-machines/

I am using Linux Mint 21.1

Any ideas on how I can get it working?

2 minutes ago, Chillfox said:

Rumming /opt/wines/ElementalWarrior-8.3 (wine-7.9-5442-gdb8b984c1f8) in: /home/mia/.WineAffinity
002c:err:wineboot:process_run_key Error running cmd L"C:\\windows\\system32\\winemenubuilder.exe -a -r" (126).
0104:fixme:ntdll:NtQuerySystemInformation info_class SYSTEM_PERFORMANCE_INFORMATION
0118:fixme:dwrite:dwritefactory_CreateMonitorRenderingParams (00000001): monitor setting ignored
0104:fixme:win:RegisterPowerSettingNotification (0001007C,{02731015-4510-4526-99e6-e5a17ebd1aea},0): stub
0104:fixme:dwrite:dwritetextanalyzer_AnalyzeNumberSubstitution (248413C0 0 34 24846F60): stub

I copied the WinMetadata from the Windows 11 VM that Microsoft provides here https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/downloads/virtual-machines/

This

wine-7.9-5442-gdb8b984c1f8

likely means you are using the wrong wine version. It should says wine-8.3.

5 minutes ago, Chillfox said:

I had the same problem the first time. It worked by trying to make again

19 hours ago, Chillfox said:

I have tried building with both the master and affinity-photo2 branch from https://gitlab.winehq.org/ElementalWarrior/wine and the version says 7.9 either way

1:23 ElementalWarrior-wine (affinity-photo2)  wine-install/bin/wine --version
wine-7.9-5442-gdb8b984c1f8

i have a similar issue, i believe it's only visual and it actually is 8.3.

20 hours ago, Chillfox said:

Supported Windows version not found

OMG i did forget a winecfg command :

wine winecfg -v win11

so it should be :

rum ElementalWarrior-8.3 "/home/USER/.WineAffinity" wine winecfg -v win11

(it's caused by winetricks changing the version to install dotnet48 and changing it back to win7 or win10 instead of the default wine value)