You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Suite v2.0.4 on linux [ Wine ]

Wanesty

6 hours ago, Wanesty said:

did you set your wineprefix version back to win10 / win11 ?

maybe your winmd files are outdated (weird but idk)

did you install it with the .exe or the .msix ?

if you installed it with bottle maybe you have a mshtml (or similar) disabled ?

Thank you for your reply. I installed with the .exe. The winmd files are from my up to date win 11 system.

I think I missed something or I'm too new in doing this stuff.

When I try to set back to win10/11 it says:

rum ElementalWarrior-8.3 "/home/dp/.WineAffinity" wine winecfg -v win11
Rumming /opt/wines/ElementalWarrior-8.3 (wine-7.9-5443-gd0fe9b9ab64) in: /home/dp/.WineAffinity
002c:err:wineboot:process_run_key Error running cmd L"C:\\windows\\system32\\winemenubuilder.exe -a -r" (126).
0090:fixme:hid:handle_IRP_MN_QUERY_ID Unhandled type 00000005

...and the libraries are missing

I think I have to wait for a bottles version or so. ...where I don't have to handle things that hard (for me as a newbie).

Bildschirmfoto vom 2023-03-27 20-51-45.png

1 hour ago, SevenStart said:

If you could, you would be my hero. To be honest I'm still having trouble installing all the dependencies to make the applications work.
I had to reinstall Fedora because there were some problems and I didn't know how to uninstall the "make install".

Yes, I know I'm a noob, but at least I'm trying.😅

If I find the time and I can figure it out, I will definitely try though. I haven't made a COPR repo before, so might take me a bit.

1 hour ago, Grunt said:

And you intend to distribute this docker image?

Yes, as its just a generic builder image. I plan to release it for others to use to create their own consistent builds.

3 minutes ago, Daegalus said:

Yes, as its just a generic builder image.

Just beware because I don't think winmd files, dotnet or even Affinity binaries are freely distributable files. Recipe (for building) is fine, binaries not so much.

30 minutes ago, Grunt said:

Just beware because I don't think winmd files, dotnet or even Affinity binaries are freely distributable files. Recipe (for building) is fine, binaries not so much.

Ya, I am aware. the docker image will just have all the wine deps installed, and a script that runs the wine64, wine32 building, then installs them to wine-install. YOu will mount the Wine sourcecode yourself. This wont run affinity for you. This is just to help people build the ElementalWarrior wine binaries.

I am not to sure whether it is helpful to you or anyone but Fedora comes pre-installed with toolbox and podman. So for those who don't want to flood their OS with a million wine dev packages when attempting to build wine, you can create this environment before following Elemantal's guide.

just type:

$ toolbox create

then

$ toolbox enter

Then install wine dev packages and follow Elemental's build instructions.

---
Alternatively
Wine is far easier to build on Debian/Ubuntu. So Alternatively (and I have no idea if this would work) you can build Wine from a Fedora terminal by entering

Debian environment with the following:
podman run --rm -it docker.io/library/debian

Then install the debian wine dev packages, and then follow Elemental's guide. However I have no idea if the built wine will then work on a Fedora machine so...

Stayed up way too late getting this working but here is the Docker image. Readme is in the github repo or the package page, take a look to see how to use it. I successfully compiled a ElementalWarrior build with this.

https://github.com/daegalus/wine-builder

https://github.com/daegalus/wine-builder/pkgs/container/wine-builder

podman pull ghcr.io/daegalus/wine-builder

12 minutes ago, Rafael Brucart said:

I am not to sure whether it is helpful to you or anyone but Fedora comes pre-installed with toolbox and podman. So for those who don't want to flood their OS with a million wine dev packages when attempting to build wine, you can create this environment before following Elemantal's guide.

just type:

$ toolbox create

then

$ toolbox enter

Then install wine dev packages and follow Elemental's build instructions.

---
Alternatively
Wine is far easier to build on Debian/Ubuntu. So Alternatively (and I have no idea if this would work) you can build Wine from a Fedora terminal by entering

Debian environment with the following:
podman run --rm -it docker.io/library/debian

Then install the debian wine dev packages, and then follow Elemental's guide. However I have no idea if the built wine will then work on a Fedora machine so...

The binaries should work, at least mine does. Used podman and my image to build itunder debian, but used it in Fedora.

To be honest, I always forget Toolbox is a thing.

There is also distrobox too.

On 3/27/2023 at 8:01 PM, Daegalus said:

installing the 20+ 32bit libraries, and extra 64bit ones that I normally dont need wasn't pleasant

yea it's a bit brutforce but i didn't want to dive deeper into needed dlls, so comiling both win32 and win64 stuff is the easiest, please feel free to propose better build commands !

Also I never use RUM or manage my prefixes manually, its why i use flatpak Bottles

i preferred to take this approach for transparency purpose in my commands :) also, yes i love bottles but dotnet48 not adding reg keys properly would have ended up requiring more complex commands, finding the bottle's prefix(diff location if installed from flatpak or native) and using winetricks anyway.

I might open a ticket for that with bottles

please do ! I should have indeed done it, send the issue link if you make one so i could maybe add more details !

I might maybe make  COPR repo for it (its like AUR for fedora)

if the syntax is similar to AUR PKGBUILDs, i could make a AUR repo and you could just translate it ?

On 3/27/2023 at 8:24 PM, SevenStart said:

and I didn't know how to uninstall the "make install".

yep, that's the exact reason i precised "./configure -prefix [...]" and used Rum x)

On 3/27/2023 at 8:29 PM, Grunt said:

Why do you use rum?

you seem to be fine with this workflow but many peoples are used to being able to use multiple "Runners" in parallel like with Lutris, Bottle or Steam (or obviously the one i choose for this guide, Rum)

up to date guide for the Affinity Suite on Linux :  codeberg.org/affinity-wine-docs

On 3/27/2023 at 9:30 PM, niteswimming said:

002c:err:wineboot:process_run_key Error running cmd L"C:\\windows\\system32\\winemenubuilder.exe -a -r" (126).

"fixme" stuff are "warn"s most of the time, because wine isn't a 1:1 copy of windows, errors are named [...]:error:[...]

On 3/27/2023 at 9:30 PM, niteswimming said:

...and the libraries are missing

my screenshot was an example, yours is fine and how it should be for this prefix... as for this

On 3/25/2023 at 1:24 PM, niteswimming said:

"There was a problem starting the app.
The other Affintiy apps cannot be reached. Please make sure the app is up to date and your firewall is not blocking any LAN connections."

i would assume an issue with the winmd file but i honestly don't know, try reinstalling the wineprefix, and maybe try some win10 winmd files from a VM or a friend..

tell me how it goes !

up to date guide for the Affinity Suite on Linux :  codeberg.org/affinity-wine-docs

Here are the dependencies to build it, list from the WineHQ Wiki

Ubuntu, Debian and APT distro :

apt install gcc-multilib gcc-mingw-w64 libasound2-dev libpulse-dev libdbus-1-dev libfontconfig-dev libfreetype-dev libgnutls28-dev libgl-dev libunwind-dev libx11-dev libxcomposite-dev libxcursor-dev libxfixes-dev libxi-dev libxrandr-dev libxrender-dev libxext-dev libgstreamer1.0-dev libgstreamer-plugins-base1.0-dev libosmesa6-dev libsdl2-dev libudev-dev libvulkan-dev libcups2-dev libgphoto2-dev libsane-dev samba-dev ocl-icd-opencl-dev libpcap-dev libusb-1.0-0-dev

Fedora and DNF distro :

dnf install glibc-devel.i686 mingw32-gcc mingw64-gcc alsa-devel libpulse-devel dbus-libs fontconfig-devel freetype-devel gnutls-devel mesa-libGL-devel libunwind-devel libX11-devel libXcomposite-devel libXcursor-devel libXfixes-devel libXi-devel libXrandr-devel libXrender-devel libXext-devel gstreamer1-devel gstreamer1-plugins-base-devel libOSMesa-devel SDL2-devel vulkan-headers libvulkan-loader cups-devel libgphoto2-devel sane-backends-devel samba-devel ocl-icd-devel libusbx-devel

Archlinux and Pacman distro :

pacman -Sy mingw-w64-gcc alsa-lib libpulse dbus fontconfig freetype2 gnutls mesa libunwind libx11 libxcomposite libxcursor libxfixes libxi libxrandr libxrender libxext gstreamer gst-plugins-base-libs sdl2 vulkan-icd-loader vulkan-headers libcups libgphoto2 sane smbclient ocl-icd libusb

15 hours ago, Daegalus said:

Stayed up way too late getting this working but here is the Docker image. Readme is in the github repo or the package page, take a look to see how to use it. I successfully compiled a ElementalWarrior build with this.

https://github.com/daegalus/wine-builder

https://github.com/daegalus/wine-builder/pkgs/container/wine-builder

podman pull ghcr.io/daegalus/wine-builder

oooh that's really nice, also you should add a LICENCE to your repo !

1 hour ago, Wanesty said:

please do ! I should have indeed done it, send the issue link if you make one so i could maybe add more details !

if the syntax is similar to AUR PKGBUILDs, i could make a AUR repo and you could just translate it ?

I haven't opened yet, still planning to though. Their ticket template require some debug info from the bottles app and I'm not at my computer

As for copr. It's more a AUR/PPA hybrid. I need to construct a src.rpm, push that up and copr builds a repo and proper RPM that can then be distributed.

41 minutes ago, Wanesty said:

oh so it's a binary ? or can you make it build apps like aur can ?

The end result is a package with a fully compiled ElementalWarrior wine build. So everything you get in wine-install as an RPM package that is installed to the system like any other rpm.

The building and sources live in the COPR repo that produce the final RPM.fornothers to install. It's why it's a bit of a hybrid of PPA from Ubuntu and the Arch AUR.

18 hours ago, Wanesty said:

you seem to be fine with this workflow but many peoples are used to being able to use multiple "Runners" in parallel like with Lutris, Bottle or Steam (or obviously the one i choose for this guide, Rum)

Because I have one distro just for Affinity testing. I'm not much sure what exactly are you pursuing. Testing Affinity suite on GNU/Linux? OK, I'm all for it. Making Affinity more available for more non-technically based users? I'm not sure about it. At least for me, entire suite crashes a lot (maybe it simply stems from fact, that Affinity suite hasn't been written exactly as an example of good multi-platform application and is pure luck and hours of wine-stubbing, it even works) and regular users looking for serious work on different platform will eventually get frustrated by unpredictable behavior and constant crashing.

I've been testing Affinity this weekend and yes, I can confirm it is possible to start application, all tool is there and it works surprisingly good and I can see potential in this direction. But without developers support (aka Serif support for different platform) just forget it. Has anyone even tried to draw anything in Affinity Designer?:

adesign_pen.png.7869649739ff497676e73d2cc120e229.png

I'm not sure but as I see it, Affinity depends heavily on 3D API/GPU. I've tried to run designer without GPU and it gets slow. Very slow. So I got the impression AF uses shaders pipeline for calculations. Is there even alternative back-end for running AF GUI? Like OpenGL or is it just D3D and eventual Direct2D overlay? How it is done on Mac?

At such moments I really hope that the moderators or developers of Serif could give some help. I think many underestimate the impact a graphic editing tool like Affinty or Photoshop has on the OS market share.

If a product like Affinity Photo, Designer, etc. worked on Linux, it would attract a lot more people to switch to Linux. Many want to move to Linux but can't because they are extremely dependent on graphics development products. That would also give Serif an enormous boost. Because - albeit small - the Linux market is mostly made up of people who don't feel like Microsoft's or Apple's data monitoring and want to enjoy the many benefits of Linux. They're even willing to pay extra just to stop being dependent on an OS they don't even want to use.

I know from my environment (student from Germany) who would like to switch to Linux but cannot because of such hurdles.

Really that's such a shame. 😞

46 minutes ago, SevenStart said:

At such moments I really hope that the moderators or developers of Serif could give some help. I think many underestimate the impact a graphic editing tool like Affinty or Photoshop has on the OS market share.

If a product like Affinity Photo, Designer, etc. worked on Linux, it would attract a lot more people to switch to Linux. Many want to move to Linux but can't because they are extremely dependent on graphics development products. That would also give Serif an enormous boost. Because - albeit small - the Linux market is mostly made up of people who don't feel like Microsoft's or Apple's data monitoring and want to enjoy the many benefits of Linux. They're even willing to pay extra just to stop being dependent on an OS they don't even want to use.

I know from my environment (student from Germany) who would like to switch to Linux but cannot because of such hurdles.

Really that's such a shame. 😞

Agreed, feels like a missed opportunity. I would honestly be willing to pay double the Windows prices for a Linux version.

On 3/29/2023 at 6:19 PM, Grunt said:

Making Affinity more available for more non-technically based users?

serif's job; i honestly just want serif to see peoples wound be interested in a native release

maybe it simply stems from fact, that Affinity suite hasn't been written exactly as an example of good multi-platform application and is pure luck and hours of wine-stubbing, it even works

dotnet(most) and c# are universal, kinda like java is, the issue is that serif is using lots of win specific api for affinity, and not all of them are really well supported anymore (throwback to the font search crash because of a win update, that i'd assume removed a deprecated module affinity used..)

and regular users looking for serious work on different platform will eventually get frustrated by unpredictable behavior and constant crashing.

....this is allowed by serif because we aren't breaking any of their EULA but it is in no way supported by them, sadly.

Serif mentioned, before "porting" it (back) to windows, that it would be expensive for the because of their quality standards

I'm not sure but as I see it, Affinity depends heavily on 3D API/GPU. I've tried to run designer without GPU and it gets slow. Very slow. So I got the impression AF uses shaders pipeline for calculations. Is there even alternative back-end for running AF GUI? Like OpenGL or is it just D3D and eventual Direct2D overlay?

yes, it is overall very weird, i believe the viewport is rendered with openGL but some tools are using dx, and yes the UI is most likely in D2D

and i would assume the Mac version to be only Metal.

On 3/30/2023 at 5:25 AM, SevenStart said:

Many want to move to Linux but can't because they are extremely dependent on graphics development products.

literally the main thing that made me so hesitant to switch to Linux..

and honestly i don't think I'll be able to go back to windows from what i hear about the win11 fiasco (telemetry, targeted ads, mandatory Microsoft account, and to state the obvious being closed source while exploiting opensource community, with no shame whatsoever (WSL, their terminal, Github Copilot, to name a few))

On 3/30/2023 at 6:13 AM, Daegalus said:

Agreed, feels like a missed opportunity. I would honestly be willing to pay double the Windows prices for a Linux version.

honestly unless a really big company ask to partner up together and make a native Linus Release it wont happen... but also... guess what..

no such company will ever think about doing that because of how against Serif was about it and how silent they are now. 🤡

To me from this error (sorry for my english)

"rum ElementalWarrior-8.3 /home/alessandro/.WineAffinity wine /home/alessandro affinity-designer-msi-2.0.4.exe
Rumming /opt/wines/ElementalWarrior-8.3 (wine-5.0.3 (Debian 5.0.3-3)) in: /home/alessandro/.WineAffinity
000d:err:module:__wine_process_init L"C:\\windows\\system32\\winemenubuilder.exe" not found
000b:err:wineboot:process_run_key Error running cmd L"C:\\windows\\system32\\winemenubuilder.exe -a -r" (126).
0009:err:module:__wine_process_init failed to load L"F:\\home\\alessandro", error c00000ba"

On 4/2/2023 at 7:56 PM, Alpadesign said:

To me from this error (sorry for my english)

"rum ElementalWarrior-8.3 /home/alessandro/.WineAffinity wine /home/alessandro affinity-designer-msi-2.0.4.exe
Rumming /opt/wines/ElementalWarrior-8.3 (wine-5.0.3 (Debian 5.0.3-3)) in: /home/alessandro/.WineAffinity
000d:err:module:__wine_process_init L"C:\\windows\\system32\\winemenubuilder.exe" not found
000b:err:wineboot:process_run_key Error running cmd L"C:\\windows\\system32\\winemenubuilder.exe -a -r" (126).
0009:err:module:__wine_process_init failed to load L"F:\\home\\alessandro", error c00000ba"

Did dotnet install properly?  I got an error like that in pop_os when dotnet didn't install, likely due to a build error caused by some 32bit development files not installing properly, specifically I had issues with 32-bit freetype2.  In my case, winetricks would try to load dotnet and it would immediately fail.

I ended up popping over to my Manjaro install, following all instructions (and using the build dependencies listed in @Wanesty post above) and everything worked without a hitch.

On 3/31/2023 at 8:02 PM, ElementalWarrior said:

Wine has a translation layer of DirectX api's to OpenGL or Vulkan.

Well, why I'm talking about OpenGL? There is mention about OpenGL in Serif.Interop.Persona.dll. Maybe there were different back-ends in history. It would solve lot of issues, since translation layer (DirectX->OGL/Vulkan) isn't perfect. OpenGL back-end might solve lot of issues.

And one question: I pretty much like global menubar in tutorial videos. On Linux is implemented in vala-panel-appmenu. But since I see nothing (no item on panel applet) in wine applications I guess there would be absolutley same nothing in Affinitity suite, right?