You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I'm eligible for upgrade - Can I download apps via the Mac App Store?

Hi! Can someone confirm that I'm understanding the example licensing pages and forum posts correctly?

I'm eligible for the upgrade pricing, and if I understand correctly, I can purchase the upgrade on the Serif site, download the apps through the Mac App Store (I prefer to download software through this way now rather than through the web) and then activate the product using the purchased license in the app itself. Thanks!

37 minutes ago, Skippermark said:

if I understand correctly, I can purchase the upgrade on the Serif site

If you purchase on the Serif site you’ll get the Affinity Store version of the product. For the MAS version you should buy it via an in-app purchase.

https://affinity.serif.com/learn/affinity-licensing-registration-and-activation-guide-mac-app-store/

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

58 minutes ago, Alfred said:

If you purchase on the Serif site you’ll get the Affinity Store version of the product. For the MAS version you should buy it via an in-app purchase.

https://affinity.serif.com/learn/affinity-licensing-registration-and-activation-guide-mac-app-store/

But under the "Mac App Store - registration" section it says:

"If you already have an Affinity ID, i.e. an Affinity account, you can activate the app and any other apps by logging in using the Registration screen."

So when reading that whole section, it looks like you can download the app from the Mac store and then activate it with your Affinity ID.

Editing to add that in the first screenshot on that page, the first option shown after it's been downloaded and opened from the App Store is to "Activate" the app if it's already been purchased.

I think the difference is if you want to purchase the program from that screen and don't already own it, the purchase will be made through the App Store, but since I will already own it having bought it via the Affinity upgrade option, I can just activate my purchase.

spacer.png

1 hour ago, Skippermark said:

since I will already own it having bought it via the Affinity upgrade option, I can just activate my purchase

That sounds right, but if you’ve bought it via the Affinity Store I’m pretty sure there’s no way for you to download it from the Mac App Store.

Alfred spacer.png

19 minutes ago, Alfred said:

That sounds right, but if you’ve bought it via the Affinity Store I’m pretty sure there’s no way for you to download it from the Mac App Store.

Of course you can download it from the Mac App Store. The Affinity V2 applications are free downloads for the Mac App Store and the Microsoft Store.

At that point, when you run it, it would either run in Trial mode or ask you to either Purchase or Activate a license. I think a license purchased from Serif would work at that point, as the licenses say they are for a specific OS if they're not Universal. They're not for a specific download source.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

6 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Of course you can download it from the Mac App Store. The Affinity V2 applications are free downloads for the Mac App Store and the Microsoft Store.

At that point, when you run it, it would either run in Trial mode or ask you to either Purchase or Activate a license. I think a license purchased from Serif would work at that point, as the licenses say they are for a specific OS if they're not Universal. They're not for a specific download source.

I see. I obviously didn’t quite understand how it works!

Alfred spacer.png

Thanks to both of you for your help. This licensing system confused me a bit for some reason, but it's really no different than if you sign up for Netflix on their website and then download the iPhone app and login with the credentials you used when you bought it. I just didn't want to buy it on the Affinity site and then not be able to download it via the App Store. I just prefer to download apps from the store if I can now rather than through webpages. Thanks again!

If it doesn't work, @Skippermark, you'll have 14 days to request a refund from Serif. Or you could just download from the Affinity Store instead. 

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

13 hours ago, Alfred said:

I see. I obviously didn’t quite understand how it works!

Having purchased a universal licence for my own needs (Windows and iPadOS) I actually *did* understand how the iPad App Store free ‘purchase’ works, but I was too muddleheaded to remember that at the time of posting. I would simply have stepped away from this thread if I’d been aware of how muddled my thinking was, but awareness and muddleheadedness tend not to go together, unfortunately.

Alfred spacer.png