You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Trying a Mosaic

Hi Experts-

I'm trying to do this style of mosaic:

image.png.cd9f1ef6cade8f10f284c30dea770d92.png

Onto a bird. This is how mine is coming out. Can't get each small polygon to act as a separate area for color.

image.thumb.png.00c8262850be17cf5a375302cebe3e65.png

Any ideas on what I am doing wrong?

Thank you!

Apple MacBook Pro (2020) | M1 - 8gb Ram - 256gb HD | Ventura 13.5

Affinity | Photo | Designer | Publisher | 1.10.6

You should have more curve layers and not curves layers, note the plural.

Each feather needs to be a single curve and yours are not, you also have a lot of open curves, this is indicated by the fill stopping at the boundary to the open curve, you cannot have a T junction with curves either, so your method for drawing curves will not work.

Draw the backbone of the wing and then draw each feather so that when you apply a fill it fills the whole space of the closed curve.

image.thumb.png.88d4ae7a747c340f9f1c5dc34bb02051.png

Sample file low poly design.afdesign

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.4.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Thank you, first defense!

I really appreciate the help. Unfortunately, can't get your file to open for some reason... Do you or anyone else know if there is a "drawing mosaic curves" lesson to be had anywhere?  ...I'll search as well but your input definitely is putting me in the right direction. Gracias!

image.png.997eecf962ca34b6a1e3125466829bf2.png

1 hour ago, Bay said:

Thank you, first defense!

I really appreciate the help. Unfortunately, can't get your file to open for some reason... Do you or anyone else know if there is a "drawing mosaic curves" lesson to be had anywhere?  ...I'll search as well but your input definitely is putting me in the right direction. Gracias!

image.png.997eecf962ca34b6a1e3125466829bf2.png

You must have version 1 @Bay, I'll make it in my Version 1 for you. There are many styles on this type of mosaic, Filter forge has a lot of filters with different styles but while doing this by hand is long-winded I find it quite relaxing to do.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.4.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

To get colours you can go to the swatches panel and click on the burger menu and select Create palette from image... load an image in and move the slider all the way to the right so you have 256 colours, now you can select colours easily.

image.thumb.jpeg.2ae72a45b53a7fd863e7fe616ffd5bcf.jpeg

Hummingbird mosaic AD V1.afdesign

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/4/2023 at 12:26 PM, firstdefence said:

To get colours you can go to the swatches panel and click on the burger menu and select Create palette from image... load an image in and move the slider all the way to the right so you have 256 colours, now you can select colours easily.

image.thumb.jpeg.2ae72a45b53a7fd863e7fe616ffd5bcf.jpeg

Hummingbird mosaic AD V1.afdesign

I finally got back to this project and wanted to follow-up with you. Your guidance and sample file helped tremendously. Completely understand this concept now. Thank you for sharing!

You're welcome @Bay

@firstdefence...Just curious. When making the straight line polygons in polygon mode with the pen tool, how do you then preserve the curves of the body when the polygon shares a side of the outside curve of the body? ...The polygon needs to preserve the straight lines on the inside portion of the body but then reflect the curves of the outside...

image.png.0d9a1428264717e7622489174dab9e72.png

Using the Node Tool you should be able to click drag on the outside edges to bend them but in all honesty I personally think it would detract from the ethos of the low poly design.