You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Mirror view; Zooming in/Zoom to fit (out), watching/reading Latin script in mirrorview to compare

Hello,

I'm new to the forum, but not new to the program (except Affinity V2, which has only recently came out). I seem to have found a bug, but i don't think it's really a 'software'-based bug. While looking for a answer/solution to see the mirror view (comparing the two images next to each other while applying a filter) mirrored so it would make sense in my head. I came across quite a lot of topics  mentioning cq. kindly asking if this could be implemented. Now I'm not a genius in writing code, nor do i want to say it is easy, but maybe with a bit of explanation from your side (Affinity Serif) on why this is really hard to adjust/add/tweak this and to make this work. It doesn't sound like a very big thing to swap both sides of the UI.
Of course it doesn't matter what i think, since that would be 'my opinion'. But by a quick search on the World Wide Web (really like that term, since we are all connected) says that there are round about 2,6 billion people (36% of the world population) use the Latin Script.  It is there by the most commonly used script in the world. A bit hard to ignore (then again, it's just mu opinion) and to not make adjustments on that part of the UI. I haven't come across to this before, but i would have had expected from V2 (since it's a better version of version 1.0) that it would actually be better. So i think i may have found a bug there, since it looks like nothing is being done with that subject.

Anyway, by that being said and by actually using this function (and after recovering from tweaking my eyes to read from right to left), i came across a actual software bug. And of course by trying to solve this bug and trying to be  part of this great community, i thought i do my part of the work and report this bug as good as i can. I think i did quite a great job on the bug mentioned above about reading/watching in Latin script a.k.a reading from left to right. So here's some information on my behalf to help you fix this bug as easy as possible. I'll try to work from the checklist which is stated on the Forum.

- Double checked, using the latest version; Affinity Photo 2 2.0.4.

- I could reproduce it, and because i didn't want to make a screenshot with the actual photo i was working with i had to reproduce the same situation. I did use another photo of a 'world wide web' to do so.  This also applies to new documents being made. As you can see in the photo both images are not really equalled of mirrored. This happens after zooming in a couple of time using the shortkey; ⌘+ (couple of times) , ⌘0. When 0 is only pressed once you will get the screen like my screenshot. But again pressing ⌘0 fixes this at once. You can see that its properly corrected in photo2. Now it could get a little confusing since the one on the right (before, or how the photo was) has a issue and the one on the left (after, and how the photo would become) could be mixed up. But that just depends on what part of the world you were born and with what script you were grown up with.

- macOS 13.2 (22d49)

- the before and afters are already explained.

- Adding photo to Affinity Photo V2. Go to Filters > Sharpen > Clarity... > Click on Mirror view > Zoom in using ⌘+ > Wanting to see to see full picture using hotkey ⌘0. Pressing ⌘0 again seems like a short term fix.

Also, don't take this all to critical, but take it as a good amount of feedback off seeking for the obvious.

- Screenshots coming ride up!

- Not using any unusual hardware.

- As far as i know, it used to work that both images were equally mirrored. But with the 'human' bug of not being able to swap left from right in mirror view i can't recall on previous versions. But by seeing several similar request on a longer period off time when V1 was still the stable and functioning at that time. It seems like it has been implemented for quite some time now. I don't have screenshots off this, but i believe that the furterst i saw back was from 2015. But the most recent are from round about 2020/21/22. Save the best for the last, but i do also want to thank you to make this program possible for a one time payment instead  way (my opinion again) too expensive software programs.

Screenshot 2023-02-26 at 17.41.56.jpg

Screenshot 2023-02-26 at 17.34.24.jpg

Edited by Feestenpateen
pressed to soon ⌘-Enter

Is this what you meant? I converteda text frame to a symbol, duplicating it the mirroring one of the copies gives this. Sorry demos are on iPad but same on desktops.

My dad always told me, a bad workman always blames their tools….

Just waiting for Ronny Pickering…..

Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 1.10 and 2.4 on macOS Sonoma 14 on M1 Mac Mini 16GB 1TB
Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 1.10 and 2.4 on Windows 10 Pro. Deceased
Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 2.4 on M1 iPad Pro 11” on iPadOS 17.4 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AffinityForiPad

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AffinityPhoto/

The hardest link to find https://affinity.help

Thanks for your reply Paul! It wasn't actually what i meant, but still it is interesting to watch, i might learn a thing or two from it. And I see that I posted my bug report/request a bit too soon since i wasn't actually done typing. Also the screenshots weren't attached yet. But because those are now attached you might understand what i meant by saying so. Also in the bottom middle you can see the 'after' and 'before' where i was talking about. Making it a bit weird of reading my photo's from right to left instead from left to right, cause in this cause in this case the left one will be the 'final' result.

Last but not least i would like to ask you Paul; "WHO?!" 🚗

1 hour ago, Feestenpateen said:

Thanks for your reply Paul! It wasn't actually what i meant, but still it is interesting to watch, i might learn a thing or two from it. And I see that I posted my bug report/request a bit too soon since i wasn't actually done typing. Also the screenshots weren't attached yet. But because those are now attached you might understand what i meant by saying so. Also in the bottom middle you can see the 'after' and 'before' where i was talking about. Making it a bit weird of reading my photo's from right to left instead from left to right, cause in this cause in this case the left one will be the 'final' result.

Last but not least i would like to ask you Paul; "WHO?!" 🚗

Sorry I picked up on your headline of latin script in reverse, now you have completed your post I’m sure someone will come along and help. 

Ronny Pickering 🤪 !!!

My dad always told me, a bad workman always blames their tools….

Just waiting for Ronny Pickering…..

Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 1.10 and 2.4 on macOS Sonoma 14 on M1 Mac Mini 16GB 1TB
Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 1.10 and 2.4 on Windows 10 Pro. Deceased
Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 2.4 on M1 iPad Pro 11” on iPadOS 17.4 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AffinityForiPad

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AffinityPhoto/

The hardest link to find https://affinity.help

• Staff
16 hours ago, Feestenpateen said:

- Adding photo to Affinity Photo V2. Go to Filters > Sharpen > Clarity... > Click on Mirror view > Zoom in using ⌘+ > Wanting to see to see full picture using hotkey ⌘0. Pressing ⌘0 again seems like a short term fix.

We do have a bug logged when using ⌘+0 will cause the Before image to be slightly offset.  The current workaround is to press ⌘+0 again and that will bring the whole image into view.  So I think this is the bug you are running into.