You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Highlight new features on menus whenever new release aboard

I don’t like this idea.

As long as the New Features section of the Help is reasonably comprehensive then highlighting new features in menus isn’t necessary and would, to me, be distracting. 

How would the software display such a highlight and how long would the highlight be there for?

Would it stick around until I eventually choose that menu item?
If so, it would mean that when a new feature is introduced to a menu then it would continue to be highlighted even if the user doesn’t ever actually want to use it (having not clicked on it because they don’t want to use it), distracting them visually from the menu items that they do use.

Or would it only be displayed for a certain amount of time?
If so, and the user doesn’t get round to using it in that amount of time, then it will become de-highlighted and the user will not notice it any more, so would there be any point in highlighting it in the first place?

Also, it would only be highlighting new menu-item features and they are much fewer than new non-menu-item features so any highlighting of menu items would just be a small subset of the new features and, as such, wouldn’t be particularly useful for people wanting to find out what the new features are.

Not something that I would want or endorse.

If people want to know what’s new then they can look at the New Features section of the Help, that’s what it’s there for.
If they don’t care what’s new then they won’t have any distractions from ‘needy’ menu items vying for their attention.

3 hours ago, Sonny Sonny said:

embedding in help system is a good suggestion.

It's already there, at least for major versions. Part of the introduction.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1