You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How can I cut a double-page into two single pages?

Dears members and followers of the forum,

I am sitting over a piece of work, which is driving me crazy: I started with an existing layout, 4 pages, page 1 single, pages 2 and 3 double, page 4 single. Now there is need for converting the double-pager into two single pages, as well. I am utterly at a loss of how to solve this challenge.

Would someone please be so kind as to help me with this problem? And, if possible, I would rather not start all over again with a new layout, but seek to amend the existing data.

Thank you very much for any input!

Phil

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums, @AndiPhil.

If you need this when exporting a PDF, just choose Area All Pages rather than All Spreads in the Export dialog.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
    Laptop 2: Windows 11 Pro 24H2,  16GB memory, Snapdragon(R) X Elite - X1E80100 - Qualcomm(R) Oryon(TM) 12 Core CPU 4.01 GHz, Qualcomm(R) Adreno(TM) X1-85 GPU
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.7, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.7

Dear Walt,

thank you for your fast reply. I have read this comment as possibilty in version 01. However, in the acutal version 2 I do not have any differenciation between "spread-version" or "all pages". I can only choose "whole document" or single pages (1/2/3 in my case). So, unfortunately this does not function.

Best regards

Phil

V1 and V2 work the same in this area. But perhaps I've misunderstood what you need. 

If you choose All Pages then the PDF you export should have individual pages 1, 2, 3, and 4.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
    Laptop 2: Windows 11 Pro 24H2,  16GB memory, Snapdragon(R) X Elite - X1E80100 - Qualcomm(R) Oryon(TM) 12 Core CPU 4.01 GHz, Qualcomm(R) Adreno(TM) X1-85 GPU

Dear Walt,

no, unfortunately this is not the case. In the layout-screen I can see the single pages 1 and 4, plus double-page 2/3. Printing the pdf will always, no matter which version of pdf I choose, give me the very same result: First page single, plus a double-pager (2/3) plus a single page 4.

Disgusting and quite frustrating.

Thank you for your effort.

Phil

9 minutes ago, AndiPhil said:

Printing the pdf

If you Export the PDF from Publisher, and use All Pages, and you really do have a file where the Pages panel shows you spreads 1, 2/3, and 4 (numbered that way), then the PDF should print as you want.

Can you provide a screenshot of Publisher, showing the complete application window and the spread for pages 2/3 selected? Something seems wrong.

-- Walt
PC:

Either duplicate page(s) 2/3 and crop off the left page on one and the right page on the other, or download Briss (freeware) and use that. https://sourceforge.net/projects/briss/

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

Thanks. I didn't initially think of the possibility that your screenshot shows.

You have a 3 page document, not a 4 page document. I'll guess you did not create it in an Affinity application. If you hYouad created it in Affinity, you would have 4 pages, not 3.

You could try something like this, unless someone else comes up with something better:

1. Duplicate page 2, using the controls in the Pages panel. Now you'll have 4 pages.
  2. Select the original page 2, and using the Layers panel delete the items on the right half of the page.
  3. Select the new page 3 (copy of page 2), and using the Layers panel delete the items on the left half of the page.

Then you should be able to click on Document Setup in the Context Toolbar, and change the size of page 2 and of page 3. To do that:

1. Click Document Setup
  2. Choose Selected Spread, and choose page 2.
  3. Make sure the chain connecting width and height is not selected. Change width to 1/2 its value.
  4. Switch to the Scaling tab, and select the middle left anchor button of the 9 buttons.
  5. Click OK.
  6. Repeat 1-5 except this time choose page 3, and use the middle right anchor button in the scaline tab.

-- Walt
PC:

Dear Walt,

thank you for your reply. Yes, indeed, the data was created in InDesign and not by me. Now I have to do my layouter's job....-)

I do think your first advice sounds sound and makeable to me. I will be going down that road first thing tomorrow. I am sure to arrive at a good end thus.

Thank you very much for your effort and help!

Best regards

Phil