You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Slow Performance (Designer 2.0.3, Win 11)

Hi everyone,

I little background info about me: I'm a branding and packaging designer, and I've been using Affinity (Photo and Designer) professionally for a while, to the point where I barely use Adobe anymore. 

However, I've been having a lot of performance issues with Designer lately. Sometimes, it gets incredibly slow and laggy, and it only gets back to normal when I restart the app. It's quite annoying and time consuming. 

I've got a fairly good workstation:

-Ryzen 7 5800x, 64 Gb DDR4, GTX 1060 ti.

It's probably a bug, but if anyone knows a workaround to fix it, please, let me know. 

Thank you,

Rafael

Edited by Rafael_Morgan

1 hour ago, Rafael_Morgan said:

However, I've been having a lot of performance issues with Designer lately. Sometimes, it gets incredibly slow and laggy, and it only gets back to normal when I restart the app. It's quite annoying and time consuming. 

Hi Rafael and welcome to the forums. I believe this issue was largely fixed in the 2.0.4 update so you should install the update.

Cheers

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.2 for macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

I just want to let you know that I have updated to the latest version (2.0.4), and the problem still persists.

Affinity Design becomes extremely slow and laggy after a few minutes of use. It only gets back to normal after I restart the program, but it slows down again after a few minutes.

For your information, this has been happening in all of my projects, so I believe it's a general issue, not something particular to a specific file. 

I've been using Designer professionally for more than four hours daily, so I'd appreciate it if you could help me to troubleshoot and solve this issue.

Thank you in advance.

Edited by Rafael_Morgan

• Staff

Hi @Rafael_Morgan welcome to the forums,

I've listed a few things to try below:

Download the .MSI App instead of the .MSIX

Some users have reported that installing the app via the unsandboxed .MSI installer has resulted in improved benchmark scores and general performance, I've linked an FAQ post below which details how to install the .MSI version of the app, be sure to uninstall Designer 2 first before installing the .MSI version to avoid any conflicts/issues.

Disable Hardware Acceleration

In some circumstances/hardware configurations having Hardware Acceleration enabled can cause problems, this can be disabled under Edit > Preferences > Performance. Once you have unticked this setting, restart the app for the change to take effect.

Whilst you're in the same menu, also make sure to have the 'renderer' assigned to your GPU.

Update your GPU Drivers

Make sure that you have the latest available drivers for your 1060 ti installed, I have linked Nvidia's driver search tool below:

https://www.nvidia.com/download/find.aspx

Try the 2.1 beta

The 2.1 beta is publicly available and can be installed along side the current release version, I've linked the Signup page below.

https://affinity.serif.com/en-gb/affinity-beta-program/