You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Copy/ Paste location is different between documents?

Intuos5

Hi, I have exported a PDF from Rhino and want to move over some of its layer contents to a Designer document. When I opened the PDF (which had its units set to points), copied the objects and pasted them in the Designer document, I noticed that the position of the objects does not correspond (though both files are A3 600 dpi) Not sure how to reproduce as of now.

There's one workaround, which is to add an artboard sized rectangle to document, which does retain its position somehow between the files.

• Staff

Hi @Intuos5,

Thanks for your report!

I have been able to replicate this behaviour, when importing the PDF file the DPI is automatically set to 'Estimate' - meaning the PDF is imported at 72 DPI if there is no Pixel content in the document, or the app will use the DPI of the pixel content for this 'estimate'.

If I manually change this value from 'Estimate' to 600 DPI and then open the PDF, this issue no longer occurs.

Can you please double check the PDF file you have opened in Designer under File > Document Setup and let me know if a different DPI value has been used here? As this would explain this behaviour.

Many thanks in advance :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

3 hours ago, Dan C said:

I have been able to replicate this behaviour, when importing the PDF file the DPI is automatically set to 'Estimate' - meaning the PDF is imported at 72 DPI if there is no Pixel content in the document, or the app will use the DPI of the pixel content for this 'estimate'.

If I manually change this value from 'Estimate' to 600 DPI and then open the PDF, this issue no longer occurs.

Hi @DanC,

Indeed, I can confirm this. The value of my working document was at 300 dpi, while the document I pasted from was at 600 dpi.

I thought the former was at 600 dpi too, but that wasn't the case.  Still, seeing both have the same dimensions, the dpi shouldn't matter now, should it?

• Staff

Thanks for letting me know!

2 hours ago, Intuos5 said:

Still, seeing both have the same dimensions, the dpi shouldn't matter now, should it?

I can confirm that as I understand it, the objects location is resolution based, meaning when you have a different DPI from the source to the destination document, it's expected for this object to not be pasted in the same location.

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

On 2/15/2023 at 5:39 PM, Intuos5 said:

For vector based documents, that's odd, but at least I know why it is happening now, thanks!

When destination document units is pixels, the pasted object should maintain size and top left location measured in pixels.

When destination document units is physical, the pasted object should maintain size and top left location measured in physical units (in Designer and Publisher, but not in Photo).

There is a bug when the destination document units is physical and the source and destination have different PPI: the pasted object's size is correct but its top left location is wrong. See my next comment for further information.

Edited once again: there is a bug.

On 2/15/2023 at 5:38 PM, Dan C said:

I can confirm that as I understand it, the objects location is resolution based, meaning when you have a different DPI from the source to the destination document, it's expected for this object to not be pasted in the same location.

The destination document has physical units, namely millimetres. We have been told that its PPI is half that of the source document.

In the video, the object's physical size is being correctly maintained because the destination document has physical units.

However, its top left corner physical coordinates are being scaled by two, as if the destination had pixels for document units.

I've now tested the pasting behaviour in Designer 1.10.6, 2.0.4 and 2.1.0 beta. All are misbehaving in the same way.

When the destination document has pixels for document units, pixels size and pixels origin of a pasted object are correctly maintained. Good so far.

However, when the destination document has physical document units, physical size is correctly maintained for a pasted object, but the object's physical origin is scaled by the ratio of source PPI to destination PPI because its pixels origin is maintained by mistake.

• Staff

Thanks for your further tests, I can confirm I've been able to replicate this here and I'm getting it logged with our developers now :)

Please note -

Many thanks!