You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Lower part of screen goes black when selecting Art Text or Frame Text Tool

I noticed today that I can't change (or even see) the Context settings for the Text tools in Designer (or Photo) 1.10.7, on iPadOS 16.3. As soon as I select the Art Text or Frame Text tools and draw on the screen with them, the bottom part of the screen goes black, hiding the lower tools on the left and right and the complete Context bar. Switching between landscape and portrait for the iPad doesn't help. I tried resetting User Data in the app, closing the app, and also Force Stopping the iPad. Nothing helps.

Edit: Detaching the Magic Keyboard lets the context bar show when the on-screen keyboard comes up. So it seems to be related to having the physical keyboard attached.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• Staff

Hi @walt.farrell,

Thanks for your report!

I've tried this on an M1, M2 and an older iPad Pro using the A9X chip all updated to 16.3 and I've yet been unable to replicate this here with a magic keyboard.

Can you please confirm, are you drawing the Artistic Text object using an Apple Pencil, or your finger? Do you see a difference in behaviour when using either input method? :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

1 hour ago, Dan C said:

Can you please confirm, are you drawing the Artistic Text object using an Apple Pencil, or your finger? Do you see a difference in behaviour when using either input method? :)

Same behavior either way.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

• Staff

Apologies for the delay Walt - that's certainly interesting behaviour.

Can you think of any display settings (such as the recently added 'Display Zoom') or keyboard settings/languages you have enabled that may explain the difference in behaviour we're seeing here?

Just to confirm, are you using the iPad Magic Keyboard that attaches using magnets to the back of the iPad and acts as a 'floating' stand, similar to the one shown below?

Magic-Keyboard-for-iPad-M1.jpg

I'm aware there are multiple different styles of 'Magic Keyboard' for iPad and want to ensure I'm testing on the same keyboard :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

Yes, that's the keyboard I have, @Dan C. And to my knowledge I don't have any non-default Display or keyboard/language settings.

-- Walt
PC:

• Staff

Thanks for confirming Walt - this iPad / Keyboard combo are in the office currently so I will be sure to perform further tests on Monday and respond back ASAP :)

Please note -

Many thanks!

• Staff

I've tried testing this on our M1 Pro, M1 Air & M2 Pro - all running iOS 16.3 & Designer 1.10.7 - thus far I've been unable to replicate the issue, even after resetting the app, restarting the iPad, etc.

I'm unsure what's causing this locally for you, however I can log this as an issue with our team as a needs more info bug, such that our QA team can test further and should we receive further reports, it can be converted to a regular bug report.

My apologies I can't provide a better answer at this time!

Please note -

Many thanks!

• 1 month later...

I’ve recently been experiencing the same issue.  I have the 11” iPad Pro, using iOS 16.3.1 and Magic Keyboard.

If I hold and swipe left or right at the bottom of the screen, I can move the rounded rectangle.  I can access the fonts etc. if I move the rectangle towards the top of the screen; however, I have to use my other hand to make selections.

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums, @Hieronymos Prime.

I hadn't even noticed that dark gray rounded rectangle down in the lower right, so thanks for mentioning it. I have no idea what it might be.

You're right that touching/holding somewhere in the black area, and dragging left/right will move that rounded rectangle, and reposition it. I can end up with it on the right (where it started) or on the left. Or if I drag it upward to about mid-screen the context bar with font selection, etc. appears.

That at least makes it usable, though somewhat painful in operation :) 

@Dan C: Here's a video of that.

-- Walt
PC:

• Staff

Thanks for the further information here @Hieronymos Prime & the screen recording provided @walt.farrell!

I will be sure to update the development log with this information now and I will continue to test this issue when I am back in the office tomorrow to see if I can replicate this once again.

Our apologies for any inconveniences caused in the meantime due to this.

Please note -

Many thanks!

• Staff

Just to confirm, I have since been able to replicate this issue - it requires Stage Manager to be enabled which isn't supported for Affinity apps at this time (and is unlikely to ever be supported for Affinity V1).

If you disable Stage Manager, this issue should stop occurring :)

Please note -

Many thanks!