You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Open and work on PDF in Publisher.

Following on from my previous rather flippant remark.

I would just repeat, in all seriousness, that you should not be embarking on this work unless you are being properly paid for it and unless you have the skills and knowledge to accomplish it. If you don't, then I hope you have the strength to tell whoever asked you to do it that you will need more help/training/support.

You should not expect Affinity Publisher to offer an immediate solution. First and foremost it is not a pdf editor or a data management tool. But it goes deeper than that.

As far as I can see you are being expected to unpick someone else's laborious work and to recast it into another format.

In my opinion you should first be looking at ways of extracting, categorising and structuring the original information into a database or a format like .xml.

Once you have control of the structured data, then you can present it in any number of ways. Affinity Publisher may be helpful then. 

But what you cannot do is take .pdfs, or Word docs, or any sort of pre-formatted text of this complexity, and expect Publisher to sort it out for you.

It can not.

Publisher is a desktop publishing application. It is a page layout tool, not a data management tool. 

Again, and with all respect, control the data before you start on the presentation.

Affinity Photo 2.0.3,  Affinity Designer 2.0.3, Affinity Publisher 2.0.3, Mac OSX 13, 2018 MacBook Pro 15" Intel.

h_d   thank you for your post.    I did not in any way expect AP to unpick the complexity of the layout  -  I did that by hand in html editor.  All I wanted from AP was a way to flow the text in a PDF, which it is perfectly capable of as long as the pages are inked manually and individually. 

So

I was not expecting miracles I was hoping it would simply do what it is patently capable of doing.

However, I have found a solution to my problem which does not involve traveling via PDF.

I apologise if you feel that asking for help was a waste of your time

9 minutes ago, vikingtone said:

I apologise if you feel that asking for help was a waste of your time

Not in the slightest, and I'm sorry if my post came across that way. I'm glad you got it sorted, with or without Publisher!

Affinity Photo 2.0.3,  Affinity Designer 2.0.3, Affinity Publisher 2.0.3, Mac OSX 13, 2018 MacBook Pro 15" Intel.