You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Lock Aspect Ratio not working in AD V2

Hi @Joe Gattis and welcome to the forums. The lock aspect ratio feature of the Transform panel constrains the editing of the width and height with its text fields. It doesn't constrain scaling objects with the corner size handles. To do that, hold down Shift while scaling the object.

Cheers,

Mike

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.2 for macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)

• 5 months later...

Bumping this up... I have tried locking TRANSFORM - multiple layers when selected together still distort when trying to maintain ALL PROPORTIONS.  

Also same issue while attempting to TRANSFORM a simple png.  Holding Shift down.

Affinity Designer 2.1.1   [Note - using Macally keyboard] macOS Monterey V 12.6.7 

No Designer wants their images or text distorted .... :)  There should be a very simple way to do this command.  If it's holding down shift key, it is not working for me.

This is costing me time.

Suggestions? Thank you!

Edited by affuser9001

Updating | Changed to Mac Wireless Keyboard. Opened Transform dialogue box, selected "Lock" for each option. Without holding shift, dragged corner and the png scaled properly.

I tried several ways with the MacAlly keyboard. So, will use wireless for the time being to see if "option keys" on keyboard work better.

That was easy! As it should be!

1 hour ago, affuser9001 said:

Without holding shift, dragged corner and the png scaled properly.

Maintaining the aspect ratio is what would usually happen, for that kind of object and that kind of transformation, by default. And holding Shift would make it ignore the aspect ratio. 

Look in your application Settings, Tools for a setting named something like "Move Tool aspect constrain". It can be set to:

* constrain by default, and Shift will un-constrain; or

* not constrain by default, and Shift will constrain; or

* examine the kind of object, and let that determine how the constraining and the Shift key operate.

The first two of those options are easier to understand and work with for many users. The third one is the default, if I remember correctly.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Thank you, Walt!

It's the simplest things sometimes!

However, fyi, I tried many different ways.  And also had Transformed many layers before in other docs, no issue. So, this for me is an intermittent issue because I had never changed the default option on Settings here. 

Took a look at settings and made the change you recommended! Hope this does it!

AFF-MoveTool-Constraint Options-Update.png