You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

New to affinity, can't see the contents of my file

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums.

Did you perhaps select View > View Mode > Wireframe (or another one of the view modes you don't want)?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

26 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Did you perhaps select View > View Mode > Wireframe (or another one of the view modes you don't want)?

When I enter View > View Mode, I only get the options: Single View, Split View and Clip to canvas. Where can I find the Wireframe modus in Publisher?

8 minutes ago, Desireephhn said:

Lorsque j'entre dans Affichage> Mode d'affichage, je n'obtiens que les options :  Vue unique, Vue fractionnée et Clip sur le canevas. Où puis-je trouver le mode Wireframe dans Publisher ?

Hello, in the persona designer, you will find the Wireframe mode. You probably checked it by mistake.

6 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

The "Last Used" wireframe mode now has the default shortcut of CTRL+Y which was previously the Edit > Redo shortcut

I can see a few people getting caught out by this in the future

@Desireephhn

Might be best to remove that new (CTRL+Y) shortcut, if you used Edit > Redo a lot in the past, to prevent this accidentally happening again in the future

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

• 2 months later...

Hello all,

I’ve only bought the affinity publisher, so I haven’t got the designer version you’re talking about. So I can’t disengage the wireframe modus in the way you described. I’ve just tried reinstalling the app, but this hasn’t helped either.

Any other suggestions?

kind regards,

Roy

On 1/31/2023 at 10:44 PM, walt.farrell said:

I can't see the Wireframe modus in Affinity Publisher, so this doesn't seem to be the solution. Have you got any other ideas? I feel stupid, as I can't use the software properly now. 

32 minutes ago, Desireephhn said:

I can't see the Wireframe modus in Affinity Publisher, so this doesn't seem to be the solution. Have you got any other ideas? I feel stupid, as I can't use the software properly now. 

So, you're saying you only have Publisher, not Designer? And that you can't click on the Designer Persona icon?

I wonder if there's a bug on the Mac versions, and Cmd+Y (likely Designer shortcut for View > View Mode > Wireframe > Last Used) works even from the Publisher Persona. If so, perhaps pressing it again would restore the old behavior.

My only other idea: if you can share your document publicly here, perhaps one of us can figure out what's going on.

Do you have the same problem if you create a new document?

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

Thanks.

Here's what the first page of that one (different from the one you used for screenshots above) looks like for me:

image.png.f98fe31e5823e6c37fbf0d31cc3defbe.png

And here's what it looks like in Wireframe Outline view mode:

image.png.a071c372fdabc47d3bf16f1e03e5b292.png

If that second one is what you're seeing, that would confirm that you've gotten into Wireframe view mode somehow. If you don't own Designer, I've no idea how that could have happened.

Try:

1. Completely closing Publisher.
  2. Pressing and holding the Ctrl key, and starting Publisher again. If this gets you a popup menu, keep holding Ctrl and click on Open.
  3. You should get a Clear User Data dialog.
  4. Leave the first item (Clear User Defaults) checked, and uncheck everything else. Press Clear.

Does it then work better?

-- Walt
PC:

3 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Thanks.

Here's what the first page of that one (different from the one you used for screenshots above) looks like for me:

image.png.f98fe31e5823e6c37fbf0d31cc3defbe.png

And here's what it looks like in Wireframe Outline view mode:

image.png.a071c372fdabc47d3bf16f1e03e5b292.png

If that second one is what you're seeing, that would confirm that you've gotten into Wireframe view mode somehow. If you don't own Designer, I've no idea how that could have happened.

Try:

1. Completely closing Publisher.
  2. Pressing and holding the Ctrl key, and starting Publisher again. If this gets you a popup menu, keep holding Ctrl and click on Open.
  3. You should get a Clear User Data dialog.
  4. Leave the first item (Clear User Defaults) checked, and uncheck everything else. Press Clear.

Does it then work better?

Hi Walt, 

The way my screen looks, can be seen in the attached screenshot that I've added to the first message in this post. I also tried clearing all the cache, but this didn't work either.

I've just found a e-mailadres on Twitter and have send them this question via email, so let's see what they come up with. 

I'll post the solution, if it's offered, here on this forum too.

Kind regards, 

Roy

6 minutes ago, Desireephhn said:

The way my screen looks, can be seen in the attached screenshot that I've added to the first message in this post.

You had a screenshot there of a different document (not the one you attached a couple of posts up). I do not see anything added to the first post that shows this new document.

7 minutes ago, Desireephhn said:

I also tried clearing all the cache,

Do you mean clearing the user defaults, as I suggested? Or something else?

-- Walt
PC:

The following settings are available on the context toolbar when a placed image or document is selected:

• Image/document Info—Displays the image's or document's native dimensions and its placed DPI and percentage scaling; use the arrow to edit DPI or scaling, or reset to original size (100% scaling).
  • PageBox—choose from the following:
    • TrimBox—the page displayed to the page edge.
    • BleedBox—the page with bleed or printer marks shown.
    • Minimum Contentthe bounding box of the object(s) in the document.
    • Minimum Visible Content—As for Minimum Content but the bounds of any hidden objects are also taken into account.
    • Maximum Content—the bounding box of the object(s) including the object's control handles outside the box.
    • Maximum Visible Content—As for Maximum Content but the bounds of any hidden objects are also taken into account.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2