You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

All images in PDF coming blurry

sagar1412

• Staff

@sagar1412

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums. :)

Low resolution images are loaded initially, and this can happen on larger documents if exported shortly after opening the file. Have you tried viewing each page before export or even just leaving the computer for a few minutes first before export, as it allows the background task manager to import higher resolution images before export.

If that doesn't work please show which export settings you are using 

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

Hi. I have tried everything you suggested. Also i checked my older affinity files and exported pdfs which are coming completely fine. 

There is some bug in the current file i am working in. It would be great if you can help me check how to remove the bug. Attaching the resolution and setting of export.

Screenshot 2023-01-30 at 2.59.17 PM.png

Screenshot 2023-01-30 at 2.59.30 PM.png

Screenshot 2023-01-30 at 3.01.25 PM.png

Screenshot 2023-01-30 at 3.01.53 PM.png

Wht is your preflight saying about the pages? 

Are those blueprints/architectural drawings inserted pdfs? or vector graphics?

I'm having an issue where the inserted pdfs can get funny when exporting a pdf from Publisher. 

The insertd PDFs I'm using are technical drawings. 

Josue

• 3 weeks later...
  • Staff

Hey @sagar1412 welcome to the forums & apologies on the late reply,

If you're still having an issue with this It would be beneficial if you could provide us with the .afpub file you're encountering this issue with so we can investigate. I've provided a private upload link below if you want to upload it there.

https://www.dropbox.com/request/XDbhpDySb9wbyaMJaFis

If you're resources are all linked, it would be better if you could package your document first via  File > Save as package > Save to Empty folder > Right click folder and Compress > Upload packaged zip file.

Many thanks 🙂

• 3 months later...

Hello, I'm having the same problem here with all the designs being blurry when exported into PDF. I tried to export the old file in the past and everything looks fine. Why is it a coincidence that my new file also has the same bug as sagar1412 ? 

Can you guys look at my files too? Please see attached. I have packaged all the resources and attached it here.

Please let me know.

Thanks

Truc

Teacher Planner-Linked (test).afpub

New folder.zip

Teacher Planner-Linked (test).pdf

I must add that I'm using Window 11, not a MAC computer. 

Also, I tried creating a brand new file and added some designs, then exported into PDF. Same issue happened - everything is blurry. So I guess the bug is not just in the old file.... 

Please help.

Thanks

Truc

• Staff

Hi @Truc Pham,

Are you referring to some of the image resources used in your exported PDF appearing blurry? Your PDF appears to have been exported with the images being downsampled to 300DPI which has drastically affected the overall quality of some of the images, particularly since some of these images are 4000x4000 that have been scaled down.

I've attached a copy of your file which has been exported using the default PDF (For Export) preset which does not downsample images and the overall quality of the images is significantly better as their original DPI has been retained, however this comes at the sacrifice of a larger overall file size.

I've highlighted the setting I'm referring to on the screenshot below.

image.png

Teacher Planner-Linked (test).pdf

Thank you. I'm fully aware of that export option. However, the large file creates some lag when we click through the PDF. That's why I don't like it. 

Can you please take a look at another file I attached here. This Budget planner was created 2 months ago, exported in PDF- Digital High Quality DPI 300 and looked great. 

I just tried to export it again today and still no issue. All images are sharp. How come this file doesn't have the same problem? 

Please help.

Thanks

Truc

Digital budget planner.afpub Digital budget planner - test.pdf New folder (2).zip

• Staff

Hi @Truc Pham

I think i've spotted what's causing this, your digital planner and the teacher's planner have different document DPI values in document setup which is affecting the images on export when using the same preset. The digital planner has a document DPI of 72 while your teacher's planner has a DPI of 300, so when you're exporting your Teacher's planner document to PDF using the Digital (high quality) preset the images are retaining their existing placed pixel resolution in line with the document DPI which is resulting in a low quality result. However, on the digital planner which has a doc DPI of 72 all your images are being upscaled to 300DPI. 

On your Teacher's planner under 'Document Setup' try changing the DPI to 72 and then exporting again to PDF Digital HQ, i've attached the result for comparison. It's also worth noting that your images in the teacher and digital planners have two different original pixel resolutions prior to being placed in the doc, so this is another factor to consider.

Teachers Planner 72DPI exported to PDF Digital HQ Preset.pdf