You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Exporting an artboard to SVG should stroke the border

It is possible to set the fill colour and stroke colour on an artboard.

When you export an dartboard to SVG, the SVG starts with a rect containing the set fill colour, but not the stroke. It would be logical to include the stroke.

My use case is drawing diagrams for a book. I am using a separate artboard for each diagram, which means that I can export everything with one click. The book style requires each diagram has a white background and a thin black border, which AD2 nearly does automatically for me, but not quite.

I'm using AD 2.0.3 on an Apple M1 MacBookPro

The only way I know how to achieve the border on the "Artboard" is to make a shape, a rectangle that is the same size as the Artboard and give it a stroke, aligned to the inside otherwise half the width of the stroke will be lost on export.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

13 hours ago, Old Bruce said:

The only way I know how to achieve the border on the "Artboard" is to make a shape, a rectangle that is the same size as the Artboard and give it a stroke, aligned to the inside otherwise half the width of the stroke will be lost on export.

I agree, but the point I was making was that it would be a bit easier if the artboard's stroke was used instead. I'm not sure why it isn't used - a bug or deliberate?

8 hours ago, Chris Ridd said:

a bug or deliberate?

Pretty sure it is deliberate, consider that a (closed) curve may have a stroke aligned to the outside. Wouldn't see this on an Artboard.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

1 hour ago, Old Bruce said:

Pretty sure it is deliberate, consider that a (closed) curve may have a stroke aligned to the outside. Wouldn't see this on an Artboard.

That's a fair point. So there is still a bug - the UI shouldn't let you set the stroke for the artboard, as it won't honour it in exports.

32 minutes ago, Chris Ridd said:

That's a fair point. So there is still a bug - the UI shouldn't let you set the stroke for the artboard, as it won't honour it in exports.

How are you setting the Stroke?

As far as I know (and based on the current Windows 2.0.4 version, which matches the V1 behavior) the only way you can set a stroke on an Artboard is to use the Appearance panel to add a second stroke. The second stroke will be visible, but the first one never is.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

16 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

How are you setting the Stroke?

As far as I know (and based on the current Windows 2.0.4 version, which matches the V1 behavior) the only way you can set a stroke on an Artboard is to use the Appearance panel to add a second stroke. The second stroke will be visible, but the first one never is.

I'm setting it from the context toolbar (see screenshot), but you can also set it on the right hand colour panel. It is probably a good clue that even though you can set it via those two methods the display doesn't change.

stroke-artboard.png

1 hour ago, Chris Ridd said:

I'm setting it from the context toolbar (see screenshot), but you can also set it on the right hand colour panel. It is probably a good clue that even though you can set it via those two methods the display doesn't change.

Yes, the fact that you cannot set it via those methods is known. You must use the Appearance panel, and set a second stroke.

That's what was confusing me. It sounded from your description as though you had set a Stroke on the Artboard and it was showing. It doesn't, and that's why it also doesn't export.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

12 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Yes, the fact that you cannot set it via those methods is known. You must use the Appearance panel, and set a second stroke.

Oh, I'd not used that panel before. Setting a second stroke on there does exactly what I want - thanks for the tip!

You're welcome.

-- Walt
PC: