You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

[AP 2.0.4.1701] EXIF Data-Time is still wrong

Ron P.

The EXIF data, Time is showing the incorrect time in the EXIF tab. The Detail tab shows the correct time.

exif_apv2041701.png

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

• Staff

Please provide the image in question so we can investigate.

But from the Detail tab, which provides a "raw" view of the embedded information, it looks as though the EXIF data does not contain any timezone information, so we have to treat it as UTC (there is no better general solution). The time is then shown adjusted for your timezone in the editor. As such, this would be behaving as expected.

However, it's possible that your Canon camera is putting timezone data someplace in the Makernotes that we don't currently parse, which may be fixable...

1 hour ago, Tom Lachecki said:

it looks as though the EXIF data does not contain any timezone information, so we have to treat it as UTC

That appears what's happening. This holds true for any CR2 Raw file I've used to test this. The time difference is around 5 hrs, which would point to using UTC.

I've attached one of the images, may not be the exact one the EXIF info above is showing, but it's from the same folder and shot at the same time.

I also tested this in the current AP V1. Interestingly the time is correctly displayed, no difference. So why would AP V1 read the Makernotes and V2 not, if that's what is happening. It can't be that, or AP V1 would be showing the same issue.

IMG_2132.CR2

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

In 1.10.6 this file shows as 18:52 while in 2.0.4GM it shows 7:52pm (19:52), off by one hour - is there a daylight savings time variance at play? But I'm not seeing a UTC offset for this file.

Photoshop shows 18:52, the same as 1.10.6.

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.2 for macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)

• Staff
46 minutes ago, Ron P. said:

I also tested this in the current AP V1. Interestingly the time is correctly displayed, no difference. So why would AP V1 read the Makernotes and V2 not, if that's what is happening. It can't be that, or AP V1 would be showing the same issue.

It doesn't, but only the new editable date/time widget in v2 shows anything in your local time.

v1 just parroted what you're seeing in the Detail tab - i.e. "whatever the camera told us" without any maths ;)

• Staff
48 minutes ago, Ron P. said:

I've attached one of the images, may not be the exact one the EXIF info above is showing, but it's from the same folder and shot at the same time.

Thanks!

It does indeed appear to have some useful information in the Makernotes, so we should be able to start applying that to the Date Shot field during parsing (when it's missing its own timezone indicator), then everything will be fine.

7 hours ago, MikeTO said:

In 1.10.6 this file shows as 18:52 while in 2.0.4GM it shows 7:52pm (19:52), off by one hour

I can confirm the same while checking a recent CR2 from my Canon EOS 650D. Camera time zone is set to "Paris" (UTC+1), daylight savings off.

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2