You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

centering canvas problem

when I start a new document its centered just fine. but its not full size and when I go to the menu to show full size it snaps everything to the left and UNDER the frame such that my work is unable to be worked on. This actually happens all the time. I select something and BAMM I loose my canvas position. even if I close the window so that its smaller than the image there are no scroll bars that will let me move back and forth. and I cant find a way to RESET my canvas position to center. Honestly who on earth would want their canvas to suddenly or default to locking like this?

I accidently found a way to get it back to center before but the UI is not intuitive. Im committed to this program but Im finding the difference in cultural terminology a bit frustrating. for example I tried searching for "center canvas", "center workspace" among other things and came up with nothng related in the help system or the manual. 

arrggghhh...help. how do I reset this and is there a way to FORCE the program to default to centering the canvas in the work window and LEAVE it that way unless I choose otherwise?

Please see my image so you can see what happened while I was working. On the left size there is another 1-2 inches of space that you cant see on the other side of the apple.

post-25712-0-95790400-1455147764_thumb.png

There are a few things constant among most OS X apps, like a "View" menu which (mostly) has items related to viewing modes & options. Affinity follows this convention so for example you will find several different 'zoom' & page magnification items there, along with the keyboard shortcuts for those that have one.

Another related shortcut that I constantly use is holding down the spacebar to temporarily switch to the View (hand) tool to pan around the workspace. Combined with setting the mouse scroll wheel to zoom in & out, the two make it very easy to zoom in for fine work anywhere on the document, pan around to other areas, & zoom in & out freely & quickly.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7