You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo - Seamless painting

Hello,

I was wondering if there's an option in Photo to draw over borders to end up with a seamless texture? I am not talking about the mirror tool which mirrors the entire picture.
But more the tool ZBrush has to offer for that purpose (Brush -> Curve -> Wrap Mode).

Best regards,

Tomas

Hello @ToS_, and welcome to the forums.

It will very much depend on how different your abbutting sides are. You could try the following:

1. Bring the two images together as close as possible (or overlapping slightly).
  2. Merge the document (Layer > Merge Visible) This creates a merged layer on top.
  3. Use the Inpainting brush and choose an appropriate size (use the [ and ] keys). (Note that the Inpainting Brush may be hidden below the Healing Brush tool.)
  4. Draw along the junction with the Inpainting brush.

If your images are really images of adjacent subjects, then using the Panorama tool may work (File > New Panorama). Note that you will need to load the images from files under the Panorama tool).

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

4 minutes ago, John Rostron said:

Hello @ToS_, and welcome to the forums.

It will very much depend on how different your abbutting sides are. You could try the following:

1. Bring the two images together as close as possible (or overlapping slightly).
  2. Merge the document (Layer > Merge Visible) This creates a merged layer on top.
  3. Use the Inpainting brush and choose an appropriate size (use the [ and ] keys). (Note that the Inpainting Brush may be hidden below the Healing Brush tool.)
  4. Draw along the junction with the Inpainting brush.

If your images are really images of adjacent subjects, then using the Panorama tool may work (File > New Panorama). Note that you will need to load the images from files under the Panorama tool).

John

Hey John, thanks for your reply.

I think I expressed myself wrong, sorry. My intention was for hand-painted textures. So once I've finished drawing the texture I don't want to correct it in a way that requires cutting up the borders. But more that I draw it right seamless at the beginning so that the texture can be tiled.

Best regards,

Tomas

@ToS_, you might like this method here:

I was using this method to add leaves, but there is no reason why you cannot use it for partial paintings.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

3 hours ago, ToS_ said:

I was wondering if there's an option in Photo to draw over borders to end up with a seamless texture? I am not talking about the mirror tool which mirrors the entire picture.

Use a Pattern Layer

688998342_ScreenShot2023-01-09at10_17_20AM.png.45ec77674baf4422f322f5f312072645.png  1571581157_ScreenShot2023-01-09at10_17_29AM.png.85bc48f1f16d3367d6c72de146fd1454.png

The default size is 32 x 32 pixels so you may want to make that larger.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

11 hours ago, Old Bruce said:

Use a Pattern Layer

688998342_ScreenShot2023-01-09at10_17_20AM.png.45ec77674baf4422f322f5f312072645.png  1571581157_ScreenShot2023-01-09at10_17_29AM.png.85bc48f1f16d3367d6c72de146fd1454.png

The default size is 32 x 32 pixels so you may want to make that larger.

This is what I was looking for! Thank you!
And thanks for the rest who helped, the links you provided me seem to be a good alternative for similar work I will do in the future. I will keep that in mind.

Best regards,
Tomas