You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Is there present in Photo2 a tool to correct perspective distorion by the camera not being dead-on ?

To implement a fix, for instance for the camera looking up and rendering parallel lines as  / \ the desired rendering would be for the same lines to appear as | | in the image.

In PaintShop, I'm used to working with a rectangle with a handle on each corner that can be positioned independently.  For example to the top and bottom of the four points / \ in this example.  Thus the result can compensate for the camera being above-left, above-right, below-left, or below-right of the target.  I've even been able to use this on a sign that was facing away at a 45degree angle from the camera (after putting the sign on its own layer), to make it readable full on.  

I've tried Photo's Perspective tool using the "unconstrained" mode, but for instance if I move the top-right corner down, the top-left moves in lock-step. Although "unconstrained" gives me freedom to customize my own image ratio by eye, that's not the same as allowing all 4 corners to be managed independently.  Maybe the tool exists elsehere in Photo, but I just haven't found it?  In the meantime, I could work with PaintShop, but just as soon stay in the same editing environment.

Thanks.

Simple Example attatched: trying to match the 4 corners of a TV screen. (The TV screen is gently curved, but I wasn't trying to correct for that. Correcting for everything would be even better :), but what can be done? Thanks.IMG_20221229_1146B pano.afphoto

Welcome to the forum @TacoMonster

There is a perspective tool in Affinity Photo v1 and v2

https://affinity.help/photo2/English.lproj/pages/Tools/tools_perspective.html

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

The simple trick is to switch to source mode.

1. add a rectangular shape (no fill, only stroke) showing the "to be" situation
  2. add perspective adjustment. The 4 nodes should match the rectangle.
  3. switch to source mode. move the nodes to match the distorted source image

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

Perhaps this InAffinity tutorial will help? It adjusts four corners of a rectangle independently.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYlaLs7IBZE

Affinity Photo 2.4.0 (MSI) and 1.10.6; Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 (MSI) and 1.10.6. Windows 10 Home x64 version 22H2.
Dell XPS 8940, 16 GB Ram, Intel Core i7-11700K @ 3.60 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060

Success! Thanks all for your input. All is well.  

Getting used to Photo2 is well worth the investment.

The video was very helpful, in letting see step-by-step what the directions meant to show.  Also, I can see the value of not-my-fault's creating a rectangle independently. 

You are all appreciated. 

Kind regards 

Edited by TacoMonster