You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Finder Tags on images not reliably copied (lost) during "Save as Package..."

bbc.

macOS 12.6.2, MacBook Pro 16,1 8-Core i9, AMD Radeon Pro 5500M, Publisher 2.03

Linked images have either a green or a blue Tag set with the Finder

Save as Package... with Publisher.

Images Folder created includes all used images in the Publisher document, but all the blue tags have been removed, while the green tags remain.

This is odd behaviour, please look into this issue, thanks.

2 hours ago, bbc. said:

the blue tags have been removed, while the green tags remain

My "half-educated" guess is that Affinity copies just the classic old (hey, 30 years!) Finder Label file attribute, and not the new parallel MacOS tag attributes. And there can be only one Label attribute, unlike tags.

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

Alright, I just tested it with linked images in Publisher v1 on El Capitan, and all multiple tags are copied correctly into the package.
So it seems to be either a v2 issue, or a MacOS Big Sur/Monterey issue.

apu_package_macos_finder_tags.png.4b8b687cd674af041a3489280e80e913.png

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

I just did a test here with 8 images (all copies made in the finder) the same size. 3 tagged Green 3 tagged Blue and two untagged. All tags were carried over. Mac OS 11.7.2

Edit to add that this was with Publisher 2.0.3

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

I would reassign the Green and Blue Tags in the finder and try again. Weird that the blue are not carrying over. Or are you missing some Green too?

This just occurred to me, the Blue tags are they Blue from the defaults or from one you made yourself? We only have access to the standard default colours.

1202050817_ScreenShot2023-01-03at12_55_08PM.png.907a3db781716aad11531a29f232843e.png

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

34 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

This just occurred to me, the Blue tags are they Blue from the defaults or from one you made yourself?

Speaking of which… the MacOS implementation of tags is weird. Especially in multi-lingual enviroment – I prefer English in my Mac accounts, my wife German, but my iPhone runs in German as well. Then even the default color tags can get messed up and duplicate quickly. Eventually I stopped using them via Finder and reverted to applying good ole labels via Keyboard Maestro shortcuts with AppleScript macros (set label index of fileNameVariable to labelColorVariable) while removing any traces of tags with ''do shell script "xattr -d com.apple.metadata:_kMDItemUserTags" […]''. The good thing here is that MacOS stills writes and reads the classic Finder labels, and Finder displays them as fake "tags" nonetheless. (Disclosure: I'm a label junkie! :D Every file needs to be labeled, even on system level.)

I cannot be sure, but I don't think I've changed the default colours. Very sure not recently.

Sorry for troubling you all – and thanks for helping!

It's my mistake. I have all images inside the project folder. I duplicated this project folder, but didn't understand that Publisher links the images with the complete path, not the path relative to the project document.

So the four blue tagged images in the Publisher document were actually still linked to the original location before I duplicated the folder, and there they have no tag applied.

With the "Resource Manager" I was able to replace the image files with the ones in the project folder and now "Save as Package..." does what I expected.

1 hour ago, bbc. said:

Sorry for troubling you all – and thanks for helping!

Don't worry about that.
As every so often, turns out to be a bug on the user side of the computer display. :)