You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Publisher crashes when I open the rescources manager

quad

just updated to latest V2 2.03 update on MAC M1 running montery... I have restarted, re installed.... but it crashes instantly when I open resources manager... Practically unuable now.... wish I had not updated as it was working fine. Also it has not been playing nice with linked .psd files.... I have to convert to affdesigner files or export as .png/.jpg.... .psd not turning up in exports... seems very buggy right now. 

Where are the linked resources stored, on your internal drive, an external drive, network, or cloud?

What format are the linked resources?

I'm not having any difficulties with linked TIFFs or PDFs on iCloud.

One thing you could do while you wait for help from Serif is to rename the folder(s) containing your linked resources. Then start Publisher and open the document. You'll be prompted (eventually) to relink the resources - don't do that. Now can work on the document without those resources being available.

You could go further, troubleshooting by making one linked resource available at a time to narrow down which one(s) it might be. If you figure out it's one type of resource then you could convert them to another format.

To determine if it's the storage location that's a problem, duplicate the folder(s) containing the linked resources on another type of storage location, i.e., if they're on a cloud server put a copy on your internal drive. Then rename the original folder(s), start Publisher, and accept the offer to relink them but do so with the copy on the internal drive. If this doesn't crash then you'll know it's the storage location and not the file format that is an issue.

Good luck!

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.2 for macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)

Publisher 2.0.3 crashes instantly when I try to open the Resource manager window.

It also mis-scales a couple of linked PDFs.

My document as about 25 linked images - .afdesign files (Designer 1 and Designer 2), PDFs and a jpg - all from different folders.

@MikeTO's suggestion to rename folders and relink the images one by one would be very time consuming so I restored a Time Machine backup of Publisher 2.0.0 which doesn't have the problem.

Question: Under Downloads on the Affinity site, is it possible to download an earlier version when the latest version breaks a previously working function?

@Pauls  - when you ask for a crash report, do you mean the Apple-generated crash report that appears on relaunch after a crash? I could upload that if it would help.

Thanks

MacOS Ventura, M1 MacBook Pro

I ended up deleting all the linked psd files and "placing" them back as .png's    bit of a pain in the butt, as the image files are still being worked on so linked files that are editable would be the preferred workflow, but at least I can actually move forward without redoing the entire document.... I suspect the .psd files were crashing the resource manager, and they were on an external drive... these were also the files not turning up on the pdf export. 

• 2 weeks later...

I just had repeating instant crash on resource manager. I removed two linked files and now it doesn't crash. All the files are in dropbox if that matters to troubleshoot. Pain. Still one link left. File was created by duplicating another file that used to work but now also has this error.

Peter

Replying to myself, I then went back to the original file copied the deleted graphics, one at a time, closed the original file and was able to open the resource window each time so the error seems to be more  in the state of the program, not the file itself, if that helps the programmers fixing these glitches.