You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Paste object sometimes leaves measurement lines on screen

I don't know the correct name for these measurement lines but they're what you see when you move the mouse with Cmd held down.

Sometimes when I paste an object using Cmd+V I don't get size handles around the object and instead get these measurement lines frozen on the screen. It's easy to resolve, just press Cmd, switch to another app and back, or toggle tools, but it can be confusing because double clicking on the artistic text object shown in this screenshot while it's in this state won't place the cursor in it.

I've triggered the bug a dozen times in the past hour and I think it has something to do with the timing of how I press and release Cmd+V.

523486071_Screenshot2022-12-17at4_39_01PM.thumb.png.7818f1cba9621a4d4db20caa0e8597cd.png

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.0 for macOS Sonoma 14.4, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)

When it happens, can you drag the object, and do the lines adjust?

Does it happen with other kinds of object?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

14 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

When it happens, can you drag the object, and do the lines adjust?

Does it happen with other kinds of object?

I've figured it out - if you press Cmd+V to paste a copied object =after= moving the mouse from Pages to the document window the measurement lines will get stuck on screen.

1. Copy an object to the clipboard - the type isn't important
  2. Using the Pages panel, change to a blank page
  3. Start moving the mouse pointer from Pages to the document window and after you start moving the mouse press Cmd+V to paste - it doesn't matter where the pointer is when you paste as long as it's in motion. The measurement lines will get stuck on screen.

With these steps I can duplicate it repeatedly. Here's a very short screen recording showing how easy it is to trigger this bug.

BTW, what are these lines called? I can't find any mention of this feature in Help.

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.0 for macOS Sonoma 14.4, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.