You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Getting a desktop shortcut for the Beta

I didn't have one, after using at least an initial download version of the installer, and it took a bit to get one.

The apps now give a lot of evidence of being Microsoft Store apps, though none of them show up on the Store Library, as other apps recently converted to install this way do (e.g. LiquidText, craft, Skype). 

None of the quick drag-drop ways on the web work to get a desktop shortcut, but this older one does: 

https://www.thewindowsclub.com/create-desktop-shortcut-for-uwp-apps-in-windows-10

Then appears a very nice icon indeed, with a very visible B(eta) greek letter on it so you can tell :)

Nice job, and nicer if it just appeared. Possibly I missed a checkbox for this on the install?, though?

8 minutes ago, narrationsd said:

The apps now give a lot of evidence of being Microsoft Store apps, though none of them show up on the Store Library,

They are not Microsoft Store apps, unless you downloaded them from the Microsoft Store. But that only applies to the retail releases, as the betas are always downloaded from Serif. So they wouldn't show up in your Store Library. But MSIX-based apps and Microsoft Store apps are very similar in many other ways.

In any case, here's the recommended way to get a desktop icon, from the Affinity V2 FAQ:

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Thanks, @walt.farrell.

Truth is that I tried that method originally at first, but on my very up-to-date and maintained Win10, the drag-drop maneuver absolutely refused to bring the icon shortcut over. Hence the suggested, which can at least be a backstop.

It occurs to me in writing this that the issue might be that I tried this using the trackpad on my laptop. There are a few other places, usually in graphic programs, where similar drags aren't accomplished, though usually where a modifier key is involved.

When I'm back to it, I'll try with a Bluetooth mouse, just to see. But this is a very standard laptop driver etc., so it may be well to offer the alternate method in the official suggestion, no?

Cheers,
Clive

Walt, just to be complete here, I did try the recommended method again, this time with the Bluetooth mouse.

Indeed, it works fine this way. So the issue definitely was with the not-always-complete-in-details functioning of the laptop trackpad, which is still that way after about ten years...this one was a good investment....

Noticed there are indeed a lot of apps available for dragging over Shortcuts in that magic folder; could be useful. And yes, I do appreciate the distinction between Store and non-Store MSIX; just never enjoy these unnecessary MS complications :)

Best, thanks again,, and hope this helps someone else.

Clive

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.