You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Delete button in gradient overlay effect deletes the whole layer from layers panel

Hi. When adding a gradient overlay effect on a layer, when I click on gradient that I want to remove, pressing the ⌫ (delete) key on macOS app removes the whole layer from he layer panel instead of the gradient point. This is very annoying because I am accustomed to remove things using the ⌫ key instead of the 'Delete' button you have given in the pop-up of the gradient.

Step-by-step annotation.png

42 minutes ago, DVNSH.com said:

when I click on gradient that I want to remove, pressing the ⌫ (delete) key on macOS app removes the whole layer from he layer panel instead of the gradient point.

I'd say that's definitely "by design" for technical reasons, hence there's the Delete button on the popup.

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

35 minutes ago, loukash said:

I'd say that's definitely "by design" for technical reasons

I would like to know those technical reasons, because I can't think of any reasons by myself. When I select something and press Delete key, it should delete that. I found myself pressing ⌘Z to no avail, because even for Undo I need to click on the layers panel to change focus and then press ⌘Z, which makes this even more annoying experience.

14 minutes ago, DVNSH.com said:

technical reasons

Because the floating layer effects window can only appear when a layer/object is selected in Layers panel. This selection obviously retains keyboard focus.

I'm not saying it couldn't be solved differently, but that's how Serif have solved it.
Hence the dedicated Delete button to delete gradient point even though it doesn't (cannot by default*) have keyboard focus.

*) On Mac, if you turn on System Preferences > Keyboard > Shortcuts > Keyboard > "Change the way Tab moves focus", you can ctrl-tab all elements of the gradient popup, including the Delete button which then becomes highlighted. Cmd-spacebar will then "press" it and delete the point. That's basically a typical UI accessibility feature of MacOS.

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

8 minutes ago, loukash said:

I'm not saying it couldn't be solved differently, but that's how Serif have solved it.

An alternative technical solution would be for example modal windows that won't let you do anything on the canvas until you press OK, like in Adobe apps. Thanks but no, thanks… ;) 

42 minutes ago, loukash said:

Because the floating layer effects window can only appear when a layer/object is selected in Layers panel. This selection obviously retains keyboard focus.

You are right, this is why the issue is occurring. The keyboard focus is retained on the layer selected in the Layers panel. I am not asking for an alternative solution. I think my concern hasn't been thought about by Serif, and so I am glad I could bring it to their attention for product improvement.

Thank you for this insightful discussion, Lukáš… Grüezi!

when delete pressed:
if gradient nub selected, delete gradient nub

A conditional that seeks to find if something other than the layer itself is ALSO selected would prevent this, and repurpose the delete operation for the highest order of user selection.

This isn't technically repressed by anything other than a lack of consideration for keyboard operations, and doesn't need nodal focus or any other kinds of technical consideration because there's gonna be a state system somewhere that's aware of the gradient nub being the current active selection.

It does bring to mind a question: How many other things in the user's common and general usage should the delete button operate on as a means to provide a sure delete operation without needing to interact with the UI or otherwise having to engage complicated tabbing to focus on a button to virtually press?