You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

When adding a new endnote, the text of the previous note is moved to the new note

tatanka

When you have your cursor somewhere in your main body copy, and then add a new endnote, Publisher moves the view to where the endnotes are (so far so good), but the text of the previous note is cut from the previous note and instead pasted where the new note is. A bug I should think.

You can see what happens in the three attached screenshots.

1.png

2.png

3.png

Well this is odd, I haven't seen this before.

In screenshot one it's obvious that there's an extra blank line after note 19 because the cursor is visible - Publisher wouldn't add that on its own so you've typed something there. Please try turning on Text > Show Special Characters and re-posting the first and third screenshots so that we can see where the end of note 19 is.

Also, there's extra space between endnotes 7 and 8, is that a line break you entered or is something else going on there?

Cheers

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.2 for macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)

No need to redo the screenshots. The issue is still there with just a blank return between each note-body.

The end of note 19 is just as shown. In the end of the note-body is a return.

This is not something that happens sometimes, this happens all the time.

I believe you that the issue is happening but I've done a lot of work with footnotes and I haven't experienced this, and nobody else has reported a similar problem so it's difficult to figure out what the issue is.

Screenshots with both Show Special Characters and Show Fields on would be helpful in debugging this. Even better would be a test document.

Thanks

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

Alright. In the screenshots I put the cursor at the end of the paragraph that ends with 'discussion', right-clicks and choose 'Insert an Endnote'. As soon as I do that I get what is shown in the second screenshot where the note-body of ref 46 is cut from 46 and moved into the note-body of this new note-body 47.

Test doc attached.

Screenshot 2022-12-11 at 17.04.24.png

Screenshot 2022-12-11 at 17.04.40.png

endnotes.afpub

Thanks. I think this shows that there's something wrong with all of these notes. When I create endnotes, they look like this:

907512356_Screenshot2022-12-11at11_32_58AM.png.1d696442855fa2af17be3ed1e61a1f67.png

The note # and the note copy are inside the brackets - all of your copy is after the closing brackets. Were your notes created in Publisher or imported from MS Word? If they were created in MS Word then perhaps there's an import issue. If they were created in Publisher, I wonder if the blank lines you entered between your endnotes tripped up Publisher somehow.

One suggestion - instead of manually entering a blank line between notes, you should consider using the Notes > Positioning > Gap Between option. Publisher can insert space between your notes without you having to do anything.

234881947_Screenshot2022-12-11at11_22_15AM.png.2f5c0086e906bacb2fcd962d62de4cc0.png

Also, if you don't mind spaces between note references instead of commas, Publisher can also do that for you automatically. Notes > Format > In Main Text > Number Text (add a space after the #). I don't recommend entering a comma because Publisher will add the comma even after the only or last note.

Good luck

I just noticed you shared a test document. Yes, the notes are all messed up. For example, I tried deleting note 25 and it deleted just the note reference and not the note copy because the copy is outside of the brackets.

I think the best way to fix this would be to manually copy the reference copy and paste it inside the brackets. This will be tedious but necessary.

On 12/11/2022 at 5:42 PM, MikeTO said:

I just noticed you shared a test document. Yes, the notes are all messed up. For example, I tried deleting note 25 and it deleted just the note reference and not the note copy because the copy is outside of the brackets.

I think the best way to fix this would be to manually copy the reference copy and paste it inside the brackets. This will be tedious but necessary.

So the notes must be inside the brackets. This is not obvious.

3 hours ago, tatanka said:

So the notes must be inside the brackets. This is not obvious.

When you try to add the Endnote, doesn't the app give you a pretty good hint by leaving the text insertion point between the brackets? It's all ready for you to type or paste.

But you're right; this doesn't seem to be documented in the Help. It's probably evident in the tutorials, though.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

9 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

When you try to add the Endnote, doesn't the app give you a pretty good hint by leaving the text insertion point between the brackets? It's all ready for you to type or paste.

But you're right; this doesn't seem to be documented in the Help. It's probably evident in the tutorials, though.

For one, the user would have to have invisibles enabled to see the brackets. Also, if invisibles are enabled, then the brackets enclose the reference number, thus it is easy to conclude that this is a ‘special number field’ and I should not touch it. Anyway, a bit of documentation would do wonders.