You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo V2 on 'Windows 10 Home edition', doesn't work.......... at all ?

Yesterday I purchased "Affinity Photo V2"  for Windows 10 Home Addition, I installed it, opened the program, hooked-up my "Wacom Intous Pen Tablet", only to discovered that the new "Affinity Photo V2" doesn’t work, at all. The application boots-up, but when I proceed to use it, the "Layers Panel" won’t show thumbnail pictures? When I add a "Mask", its layer won’t show a white thumbnail to indicate that there’s a mask applied? When I select the "Brush Tool" (using my Wacom Tablet), the brush doesn’t show on screen, I literally can’t see it when trying to use it or it appears in ghost form, as in, its very light and its hard to make out? When using my Wacom pen to work on a mask, nothing happens to the mask ? Whats going on

@RichardMH     Hello Richard, thanks for helping out, much appreciated. I noticed some odd behaviour when using Affinity Photo V1 (this is when the problems began) which appear to have carried over into V2. When I applied a "Frequency Separation Filter" in Affinity Photo V1 everything went haywire, (which had never happened before) side panel tools suddenly stopped working, layers thumbnails blanked out and wouldn't work etc, that was my reason for purchasing the V2 applications.

In Affinity Photo V2 Both the "Mouse" and the "Pen" don’t work at all. When I open work that I created using Affinity Photo V1 in V2 (using Windows 10 Home Addition) that's about all that can done with the Affinity Photo V2 application. Affinity Photo V2 side panels tools can be selected but don’t work, the layers panel doesn't work (as outlined in the initial message), I'm at a loss, I've work that I need to get done but I can’t?

@Ciaran77

Exactly which build of Win 10 are you running?  The latest is 22H2.

Win 10 Pro, i7 6700K, 32Gb RAM, NVidia GTX1660 Ti and Intel HD530 Graphics

Long-time user of Serif products, chiefly PagePlus and PhotoPlus, but also WebPlus, CraftArtistProfessional and DrawPlus.  Delighted to be using Affinity Designer, Photo, and now Publisher, version 1 and now version 2.

iPad Pro (12.9") (iOS 17.4) running Affinity Photo and Designer version 1 and all three version 2 apps.

@RichardMH @emmrecs01    Using "Windows 10 22H2 Home Addition", I think I might have found out what the issue might be with "Affinity Photo V2". When I open a document made in Affinity Photo V1 in Affinity Photo V2, that's when I have all the issues occuring but when I start a new work flow in V2 there's no issues. I thought V2 would be able to use V1 documents?

2 hours ago, Ciaran77 said:

I thought V2 would be able to use V1 documents?

It should be able to do that, so there must be something else causing this issue, possibly some problem with the saved V1 versions. If you still have V1 installed, can you open any of these documents with it?

If you can, maybe post one of your problematic V1 files here & others can tell you if they can open it in either V1 or V2.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.2 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

@R C-R @RichardMH   Hello R C-R thanks for pitching in, I had V1 installed and opening a V1 document(s) in any V1 application presented no issues what-so-ever. Unfortunately, I'm unable to upload the specific file in question, as it is work I'm doing on behalf of a client and the client has stipulated that they want it keep secure until it’s been accessed and green-light for publication. 

I added text to the Photo V1 document, when I opened it in Designer V1, there was no issues with that process either. When I reopened the same V1 document in Photo V1 and added a "Frequency Separation Filter" that's when all the issues began, that’s when the document became unworkable, it appears to have something to do with the addition of a "Frequency Separation Filter" in Photo V1 that carried over into Photo V2?

18 minutes ago, Ciaran77 said:

When I reopened the same V1 document in Photo V1 and added a "Frequency Separation Filter" that's when all the issues began, that’s when the document became unworkable, it appears to have something to do with the addition of a "Frequency Separation Filter" in Photo V1 that carried over into Photo V2?

So just to clarify a bit, you are saying this file will no longer work correctly in either V1 or V2, or is it just in V2?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.2 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

1 minute ago, Ciaran77 said:

Precisely, after the addition of the "Frequency Separation Filter" effect to the document in Photo V1 the document will no longer work in both Photo V1 and V2 

If you add that filter to a different document in V1, do you still have this issue?

Affinity Photo 

17 hours ago, R C-R said:

If you add that filter to a different document in V1, do you still have this issue?

I dont have Affinity Photo V1 installed anymore to check but having worked with V1 over the past year I've used the "Frequency Separation Filter" a few times and there was never any issues before, but for some reason (with this particular document) when I added a "Frequency Separation Filter" the entire Photo V1 application went haywire as if it had be out on the drink the night before, nothing worked properly