You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Ipad failing to open files

Dan Cross

That has been reported before, and I think the common factor has been using Google Drive. Does that apply to your case, too?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

No, it is happening with icloud files or even local storage if I move the file to that location (I was just experimenting). Part of the message is that it "includes features from a later version of Affinity". I save the file on my desktop first, then try to open it it in the Affinity Publisher for Ipad, and both are V2, so I wonder how it could be flagged as a file containing features from a later version?

4 minutes ago, Dan Cross said:

so I wonder how it could be flagged as a file containing features from a later version?

I am guessing, so far, that it could be some kind of file corruption in transferring the file from desktop to iPad. 

If you physically copy it to the iPad and try opening it, does that work? If not, does it work on the desktop if you copy it back there?

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

I can try using Itunes for Windows and move the file from desktop that way (making sure all images are embedded because otherwise I still have issues with linked resources and unable to “authorise” their image folders.  

[later now] I noticed that when I transfered a file using Itunes it showed the Icon for Photo V2 in Itunes. Not sure if that points to a problem or not. 

So I updated the file and transferred using iTunes from my desktop. Unfortunately, I got the same error message. 

881A0202-F15A-4FF9-A7FB-FF6FEE9D9F41.jpeg

Edited by Dan Cross
Updated experience

And if you copy it back to the desktop, does it open properly?

-- Walt
PC:

Truly strange. Does seem like some kind of bug in the app on iPad, then.

When the moderators get to this report they'll have more to say, I'm sure.

-- Walt
PC:

• 2 weeks later...

@Dan Cross My experience with this (before I joined this forum) happened when I first downloaded the V2 software. I couldn’t understand why the message saying the files had come from a later version of Affinity kept appearing but I soon found out I could load the files created in V2 correctly by using V2’s own menus but not when using Apple’s ’Files’ app and double clicking. This suggests to me that the file associations are incorrect on iPad but I have no idea how to access those on my iPad (would be easy on my Mac if the problem had been there) or whether user access to those settings is even possible on an iPad. 

I’m not sure whether my experience relates to your issue in any way but I thought I would offer the information just in case. 

18 minutes ago, JamesH said:

Same issue for me but in Affinity Designer 2. M1 iPad can’t open any desktop made Affinity Designer 2 files regardless of its origin (OneDrive, Apple’s Files app). 

Have you tried the 2.0.3.1 Designer 2 Beta release to see if it helps?

-- Walt
PC:

32 minutes ago, JamesH said:

I just tried the Beta on my M1 iPad and it still does not open. 

"Failed to Open File.... The file type is not supported."

That's a different problem than this topic is about, I think, James.

The message we've been discussing is that the file includes features from a later release.

Your message sounds like you could have a corrupted file. Or, perhaps, you're just trying to open a file that is not supported. Can you give us some details about the file, such as its size and its full name, including the extension?

-- Walt
PC:

2 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

That's a different problem than this topic is about, I think, James.

The message we've been discussing is that the file includes features from a later release.

Your message sounds like you could have a corrupted file. Or, perhaps, you're just trying to open a file that is not supported. Can you give us some details about the file, such as its size and its full name, including the extension?

I know, but it seems to be somewhat related. I will start a new topic.

Its not corrupt because it works on desktop but not able to open on the iPad.

Its titled "new icons.afdesign" made with Affinity Designer 2 on desktop, and not able to open on my M1 iPad with Affinity Designer 2.

24 minutes ago, JamesH said:

Its titled "new icons.afdesign" made with Affinity Designer 2 on desktop, and not able to open on my M1 iPad with Affinity Designer 2.

If it's something you can share with us that would be helpful. (But you can do that in a new topic, to avoid confusion.)

-- Walt
PC: