You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Printing without color management

I hope to switch to Affinity Photo and have been working with it for a few weeks but ... I need to have complete control over the printing process and to do so I need to disable all color management.  This is easy to do in Photoshop but I have not found a way to do this in Affinity Photo.  Is this possible?  Thanks.

Thanks Dwright!   

I convert the RGB into a CMYK using a specified ICC profile.  I wish to print the CMYK image without further influence from the printers color management.  I cannot seem to get my desired result and I am assuming it is because the printer is converting my print sheet using another CMYK ICC profile in the same way it would if I just sent the RGB.  In Photoshop there is a way to print with "Photoshop Controls Color”.    With this setting you can assign the document ICC profile to the printer which in effect avoids any alteration to the print.  I don;t see how to do this in Affinity.  Back in Photoshop CS3 and earlier there was actually a “No Color Management” option on the print page that enabled the same thing.  That went away with CS4 and later versions.  Adobe still offers a plug in to accomplish this but it is not necessary.  

Is there a way to do the same thing in Affinity Photo?

Many thanks for your reply!

Hi manwiller, I'm new to AP but this was the first thing I explored. From what I can see in AP Preferences/Color Profiles you can select your ICC of choice and then in your macs printing dialogue select it there also. It will tell you that your software is controlling color. I hope this helps in some way. (I've been using RGB but the CMYK selection is there in AP also)

Thanks Lou!!  That got me close.  It seems you have to choose Color Matching and then Color Sync to change the profile?  The "In Printer" option does;t allow you to change the profile.  I did run into a glitch though.  The Profile options for Color Sync do not include Euroscale Coated v2.  as a profile option but that is the CMYK option that I have set in  AP preferences.   I'm looking for a way to add it to the Color Sync options.  

You did help me answer the question.  You can print without color management by setting the profile in Color Sync the same as the document profile.  Now I need to know how to add profiles to the Color Sync folder but that is question for Mac support.  Thanks so much for the guidance!!!   

Thanks again Lou.  I may have a problem with my Mac.  There are no CMYK profiles (only RGB) that show up in the Mac HD and the System folder Color Sync Profile folders.  No idea where they are.  I'm looking but think I need to call Apple Care.  

Really appreciate your guidance!!  The skiing is great here in Colorado.  Stop in and see us!!

Take care,

Still on Yosemite but very very helpful because I will be on El Capitan when I replace this computer in the next year or two.  I never did find all of the profiles that show up in the Profiles menu under Preferences.  But I installed a new profile and it shows up both in Color Sync and also in Preferences so I think I'm set.  Mac's used to be so gracefully designed.  Hiding the Library folder like they do just does;t make any sense.   As time goes on I miss Steve Jobs more and more.  

Thanks for the follow up.  You need to change your user name.  You are no Newbie!!!!

Hiding the Library folder like they do just does;t make any sense.

For what it's worth, recent OS X versions have an option to show the user's Library folder in Finder windows (but you still have to use the option key to access it from the Go menu).

To enable the option, in Finder open your home folder & select "Show View Options" from the View menu. At the very bottom of the view options window is a checkbox for "Show Library Folder."

The folder is hidden by default because it contains items that affect the behavior of the system on a per user basis, modifying or removing many of them can cause problems, & apps & the OS are supposed to be able to manage it without user help. Of course, that doesn't always happen so sometimes users need to access it.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.2 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

I think I'm set.  Thanks very much for all the help!!  When there is a Windows version of Affinity Photo I don't see any reason to stay on Photoshop, and I've been a PS user for 15 years.  I am right now budgeting the transition of my graphics team off of Windows and onto Macs because Affinity Photo covers the cost difference between the two vs staying on PS.  Adobe better wise up.  Now if only there was Affinity Quickbooks!!  

Thanks again!

Thanks for that. I'm still on Yosemite and this option is not available from the view options. 

What I have done is to keep the User Library in the Finder Sidebar. It's always available.

The option is available in Yosemite as well as in El Capitan (& Mavericks too). You just have to make sure the Finder window is open to your home folder (the House Icon is showing at the top of the window next to your user name) & you are in any window view mode except icon.

If you still are having problems getting this to work, check out this MacWorld article.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.2 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7