You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Raster Brush on AD and AP lagging

jadeb

Hi Affinity team,

I have been having this issue on my pc uisng V2 of AD and AP the raster brush is lagging. I have purchased the Universal license the day it was launched and I am not able to use V2 due to the lags and delay I expereinced, it is really frustrating. I love affinity I have V1 all suite on all my devices and I don't get this lag on V1 however V2 seems to have some issues and the main one I am expereincing is the delay or lag when I use the raster brush. Occassionally I will expereince freezing on my Ipad but not the lag on the brush I have not tried V2 on Mac. Please help with this issue. I have included a video. I do believe I have a powerful enough pc that can handle this app. :(

• 2 weeks later...
  • Staff

Hi @jadeb,

Thanks for your report and our sincerest apologies for the delayed response here. We are exceptionally busy following the release of V2 and we thank you for your continued patience and understanding here.

Can you please open Affinity Designer 2 and navigate to Edit > Preferences > Performance and provide a screenshot of your settings here for me?

Many thanks in advance!

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

I was having serious LAG with the newly installed 2.0.3 release

This is what worked for me :

Preferences->Performance.

- I set a generous amount of RAM (23 of my 32). I don't know if this is important, though.

- Undo level no more than 70 (but this might not affect, but in case it consumes resources,  like it did in Photoshop). Sometimes I even set it at 30.

- View quality: bilinear.

- Renderer : My card (3060), like you have it.

- File recovery interval (2700) But this does not affect. I just save often; I prefer to minimize the disk write (I would disable it if I could) to avoid extra lag. My work files disk is an HDD, also. You can leave this untouched, though.

- Retina rendering: High Quality (slower) . Not auto, like you have it.

- Hardware acceleration Enable Open CL . DISABLED. Uncheck that.

Preferences-> Tools:

-'Touch only for gestures' enabled (but surely this does not affect).

-Input method: WINDOWS INK. Very important: remember to set as well "Windows Ink" in the "projection" tab of your Wacom tablet. I hope it has it too if you are using a Huioin, XP-Pen or etc. I would restart the PC after doing this, for your system to really take it, then start the Affinity app.

Preferences -> User Interface

- Show lines as points (this because for now there's another issue not related with this, in Designer)

- 'Allow pointer compatibilityNOT marked. What this would do is activate the Windows Pen and  Ink features, which besides being annoying (the circle appearing wherever you touch in the menus, etc), the "visual feedback", I suspect it might also add delay.

When changing the two options (setting open cl off, windows ink on, and also windows ink in my wacom panel) that I listed up there in bold, the lag disappeared today. 

These settings are with Photo, as I paint with it. But probably work too with Designer. Maybe if you replicate them exactly you will have the lag gone. Maybe.

One thing more... I don't know those (third party?) brushes.  Are  you sure those were fast  before in Designer? Some brushes are very heavy, specially some imported from Photoshop or etc.

I have experienced the fastest experience with basic round brushes that I configure a lot (in flow and flow dynamics, spacing and hardness, but setting off many features, mostly).

The default Affinity oils brushes are fast, too.

Now it paints without lag ,here.

AD, AP and APub. V1.10.6 (not using v1.x anymore) and V2.4.x. Windows 10 and Windows 11. 

One thing: Also, in Photo at least, I have noticed that often the live filters or live etc layers could introduce lagging while painting. Gone once those are rasterized or deleted.

AD, AP and APub. V1.10.6 (not using v1.x anymore) and V2.4.x. Windows 10 and Windows 11. 

- And Retina (auto) seems to work best (in Photo, I guess also here, specially in Pixel Persona) when pencil drawing (with a brush configured to work as a pencil) in a large canvas zoomed out. More responsive.