You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Both versions (all three desktop apps) installed at once?

I'm noticing both v1 and v2 of all three apps appear to be installed. The v1's are much larger files (Gig+) while v2 is much smaller (e.g., v2 of photo is 119mb while v1 is 1.06gb). Is the v2 app an incremental addon application or are both somehow installed, each a separate application?

You have both installed, and they are completely separate.

If you're on Windows, I just think it does not show the size of V2 correctly.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

10 minutes ago, jreisman said:

I don't know if any upgrade that leaves the old version in place. Kinda silly.

Many of us want to keep both versions available for various reasons. Those reasons have been explained in a few other topics.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

15 minutes ago, jreisman said:

Thanks Walt. I don't know if any upgrade that leaves the old version in place. Kinda silly.

They are separate applications. And if V1 were automatically replaced, there's be no way to migrate things from it when you run V2.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Not silly at all. It was my first thought when considering risking money and a tonne of artwork going for version 2.

While apps are at such an early development (v1-2), upgrading is a deeply risky act.

An app at version 4 has settled down in the fundamental structural ways, and is what it is. Earlier than this, and there can be big consequential structural changes.

In my view, if the direction the apps have taken in v2 is still plagued by some big holes in Serif's grasp of professional workflows and concepts, then I go elsewhere.

My decision is that I'm willing to back serif on a v1 to v2 leap, with high hopes the huge potential is being realised. BUT ONLY IF the risk of being without any access to the v1 files I've built up is zero.

Thanks to @walt.farrell and @R C-Rthe risk has been clarified as zero, so I'm happy to support Serif one more time.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Words are crude implements, difficult to get perfect, easy to get tied in knots with, and often - usually - misunderstood, which is why 'tolarence' is the best word of all.

The word "professional" fits us all - amateur, semi-pro, beginner, advanced, middle, beyond it all, and on....., because professionals are tolerant.