You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

• Staff

Hi Right2life,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

I'm also not sure if i understood you correctly. Assuming you are talking about Affinity Designer, you can use the Fill Tool to apply a gradient directly over an image/photo. To do it, make sure the image is selected, change to the Fill Tool and drag it over the image on canvas. You can then click on the gradient stop colors to select them, then change the colors using the Color panel on the right.

The Vector Brush Tool creates individual vector objects for each stroke you draw/paint on canvas. So it doesn't affect directly images/photos. To paint directly on them you must use a pixel based brush tool like the Paint Brush Tool, Smudge Brush Tool, Blur Brush Tool etc. To access pixel based tools like those, switch to the Pixel Persona, clicking on the second icon on the top left of the interface, right below the traffic lights.

What I was referring to is i am also learning to PSP   if u know what that is. and I know there are images that are of public domain, say i wanted to removed something in an image that was of course public domain can something from that image also be removed or does the vector brush only work in removing images from actual photos taken from a camera.

It sounds like you are using the words "image" and "photo" to mean two different things and I am not sure what you are referring to when you use the word "image". A photo is often referred to as an image but I think you may be using it to mean a graphic object or shape used in a design. Either way a vector brush doesn't remove any thing from either a photo or a vector design shape or object. All photos, wether public domain or not, are taken with a digital camera and if you are wanting to remove something from a photo like a person, sign, telephone wires or some other part of the photo, then you would use tools like the clone stamp or inpainting brush in Affinity Photo. There are some tutorials on how to do this found on the tutorials page of this forum.

I hope this helps and sorry if I'm not understanding you correctly.