You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

TOC in Publisher 2

I'm having difficulty getting the leader in the TOC to stay as inplace. I choose the one with full stops, it puts them in. As soon as I go to save the publication, they disappear. I assume that I'm doing something wrong and do it again. I always get the same behaviour.

John

You need to modify the Text Styles associated with the TOC. By default you'll have a set of Text Styles like these, that are visible in the Text Styles panel only when the cursor is within a TOC entry:

• TOC1: Entry
  • TOC1: Heading 1
  • TOC1: Heading 2
  • etc, for each paragraph text style you include in the TOC.

You will need to modify each of the TOC text styles you're using that are based on TOC1: Entry.

So, for example, put the cursor within a TOC entry, switch to the Text Styles panel, then for each of those TOC1: <text-style-name> styles you're using in the TOC:

1. Right-click on the Text Style name in the panel, e.g., right-click on TOC1: Heading 1.
  2. From the context menu, choose Edit TOC1: Heading 1.
  3. In the Text Style editing menu, click on the Tab Stops section. Specify the . as the leader character:
    image.png.f3dae9c17444f322e0b49313d62152d1.png

4. Then click OK at the bottom of the dialog. Repeat for next TOC Text Style that you're using.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Thanks Walt, I did all you said and I was surprised to find that when I went to the file and opened it this morning everything was as it should be. So thi isn't the problem I thought it was.

I don't think that the help file expresses it as well as you have just done. I had to learn it from an excellent video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5wLfj7AO_Q

I hope that whoever looks after the Help files is aware of all these better explanations and learns from them.

At first I thought it might be due to me the fact that I am now using Windows 11, it sometimes pulls usurprising tricks on me. My wife often quotes an IT lecturer of hers in the early days of BBC B  computers who said that the trouble with computer programmers was that they were written by games players. Win 11 seems to confirm that.

Thanks for your help.

John

You're welcome. Glad it worked :) 

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 2 weeks later...

Having fixed the style in the edit Text style I went back to the TOC and put the separator to right indent it changed to show the leader. However as soon as I left the TOC panel and clicked back onto the page It had reverted to no leader just like before, clicking on the text of the leader and  looking back I saw that the TOC panel no longer showed the right indent blue rectangle. Nothing I did subsequently changed this behaviour.

I can only put it down to a bug. I am running windows 10, it might not happen in other versions.

choose the texts.png

right align showing.png

after clicking on page .png

Blue rectactange now missing.png

• 2 months later...