You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Any idea what the .afphoto file specs are for V2?

Does anyone have an idea whether the maximum pixel width and height has changed for V2 files? I believe it was 577,000px for 1.7/1.8??

Also, I'm interested in knowing about some of the other limitations (or capabilities if you'd like to look at it that way) that .afphoto files have... How many layers, history saves, etc. I've looked around on the internet, and the Affinity site for this info, but don't seem to have found it.

If you could point me to where Serif have this info, I'd be grateful. Thanks.

• 1 month later...
On 11/19/2022 at 7:59 AM, Susheel C said:

Does anyone have an idea whether the maximum pixel width and height has changed for V2 files? I believe it was 577,000px for 1.7/1.8??

Also, I'm interested in knowing about some of the other limitations (or capabilities if you'd like to look at it that way) that .afphoto files have... How many layers, history saves, etc. I've looked around on the internet, and the Affinity site for this info, but don't seem to have found it.

Hi Susheel, I don't believe that Serif has shared any information like that for v2 but I bet the limits are the same as recent versions of v1. Serif didn't mention any changes to these limits in the new features for v2. You can see the full list of new features by scrolling down and clicking on New Features on this page.

https://affinity.serif.com/en-us/photo/full-feature-list/

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.2 for macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)

On 11/19/2022 at 1:59 PM, Susheel C said:

The actual limits are far higher, even in V1. Creating a new file may be limiting input values, but you can resize by different methods which won’t enforce any limit. Memory will become a limit once you start to create pixel layers and fill them with non-trivial content. 

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

Just tested on iPad: 2^31 -1 is the actual limit

some functions become erratic, e.g zoom / pan

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

• Staff

Lots of things will behave oddly with a file at that maximum theoretical limitting dimension.

Note, Some file formats have limits to the maximum dimensions, so even if you make a large dimension image make absolutely sure the file format you export to can write all the data. For example, JPG files cannot exceed 65,535×65,535 pixels, but PNG has no such limitation.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

To give some context:

you will need about 4 rows of the maximum possible pixel width to have one pixel for every living human on earth. In RGB/16, each human could get one individual color for his pixel.

444F008D-E790-48DB-B47A-EA097F87B1F3.png