You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Selecting Group Not Working?

In v1, clicking on a object would automatically select the whole group first, then repeated clicking would drill down to the objects inside the group.  This is the way that V1 was supposed to work, and according to the Help manual, V2 is supposed to work in the same way.  But it doesn't.  Instead, when I click near a group I want to select, it selects the nearest object FIRST, not the entire group first.  If I double click an object, it goes from Move tool to Node tool.  To select the entire group I have to click once on the object, then shit command up arrow to select the parent group.  This is very annoying, is this a bug that can be fixed so that it works the way the manual says it should work?

The help manual says: 

To select objects (or groups) in a group:
  • Double-click on the object. If the object itself is in a group, the group will be selected first—double-clicking again will select the object.

Thank you!

3 hours ago, lovelyjubbly said:

V2 is supposed to work in the same way.  But it doesn't.  Instead, when I click near a group I want to select, it selects the nearest object FIRST, not the entire group first.

Disable the "Allow selection to consider items inside a group" button in the toolbar.

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

24 minutes ago, loukash said:

Disable the "Allow selection to consider items inside a group" button in the toolbar.

I am not seeing anything with that function or name in the main or context toolbar in either AD 2 or AP 2 on my Mac.

What am I missing?

Never mind! Found it!

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.5.3 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
A
ll 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I'm having the same problem. I had originally turn the "Select Item in Group" button on and had forgotten about it. I then turned it off and was able to select groups. However, it now has reverted back to selecting individual items in a group regardless of "Select Item in Group" button being active or not.

@lovelyjubbly @Hamilton Salvetti Sanches and @Anaru

I'm unable to duplicate the issue on macOS - which OS are you using?

I created a document, drew a few shapes, and grouped them. I turned on the "consider" button. Clicking the group selected an individual object. I turned off "consider" and clicking the group selected the group. With "consider" on, I saved the document. I turned "consider" off and quit. I restarted, and created a new document and drew shapes - "consider" was still off. I opened the saved document and it was still off.

I also tried quitting with "consider" on and Designer did reopen with it on.

I couldn't find a way to get Designer to turn "consider" on all by itself. I'm not saying it didn't happen, there are three of you so it looks like something is going on here, but either you're all on Windows or the steps required to duplicate this issue are more complex. Is there any more information you can provide? Please keep an eye on this and try to note when it turns back on by itself.

Thanks

@lovelyjubbly @Hamilton Salvetti Sanches

Hi @MikeTO I just realised what I had been doing wrong and it was your comment about trying to replicate the issue in a new document, which is what I also did and found issue, which was completely User Error. 

My document is very large with multiple layers AND groups... and that was my problem. I was getting confused with my groups and layers, and some layers I thought were groups. D'oh!

It's all working as expected now that I recognise which items in my Layers Panel are actually 'Groups' and which are 'Layers' :)

• 2 months later...
2 hours ago, ParksCoord said:

I am having this issue where I group items and when I try to select the whole group - it only selects one item. I have Affinity Publisher 2 - 2.0.4

Hi and welcome to the forums. Just turn off this option in the Context Bar. This allows you to directly select items in a group instead of the group itself. You probably turned it on by accident.

image.png.42284f4ba5fffd499aa9b177b6d8c162.png

Cheers

• 5 months later...
On 11/19/2022 at 9:34 AM, loukash said:

BTW, can you screen shoot this part? I've same problem when I click a group object, I just touch one part of it.