You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×
Our response time is longer than usual currently. We're working to answer users as quickly as possible and thank you for your continued patience.

Gradient tool

• 2 weeks later...

The closest available in Affinity, Photo and Designer, is through the Layer FX. You can add several Gradient Overlay. You can adjust the X,Y scale, X,Y Offset, not to mention being able to add numerous stops on the Gradient graph, and then the Blend Modes.

gradientOverlay.jpg

Affinity Photo 2.5..; Affinity Designer 2.5..; Affinity Publisher 2.5..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

On 11/15/2022 at 9:01 PM, eiketre said:

Check this video start at 1min and 20 sec. Is it possible to use the gradient tool like this with Version2?

14 hours ago, TH3_TWIN said:

I only had a quick go of version 2 but as far as I can tell it is still not possible to create additive gradients.

They are also critical for my workflow with masks

Looking at the video: Likely for almost everything that the guy creates with the lasso selection tool, I would simply use vector objects instead; shapes, pen tool, pencil tool. (But yeah, I can imagine that working with vectors in Photoshop is likely still a p.i.t.a. these days.)
If I were to create the same image in Affinity, likely I wouldn't use any pixel layers at all. Not even masks: You can use vector objects as masks as well. Especially if you want to use the Gradient tool non-destructively. You can then simply stack them, group them or use nondestructive compounds from multiple vector objects with gradients to create more complex masks, etc. In the end, you can always flatten and rasterize copies of those vector layers if needed.

In other words, in Affinity you can use completely different – and in my opinion much more comfortable – workflows than in Photoshop.
Attempting to replicate PS workflows literally – which by themselves already may include workarounds to fight PS's own flaws – are often a waste of time.

As for V2, it can handle nested object layers much better than v1, especially when using multiple objects as crops or masks. Definitely a major improvement over v1.

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

• 2 weeks later...

I got the email about Affinity 2 and wanted to check back and see if they ever fixed the gradient tool - evidently they have not.

In other words, in Affinity you can use completely different... workflows than in Photoshop.
Attempting to replicate PS workflows literally... are often a waste of time.

This is a complete deflection from the issue. We're not asking to be able to replicate exact workflows, we're asking that Affinity makes a tool faster to use since some of our workflows depend so heavily on it. Even one extra click per tool is catastrophic for some of us.

Looks like I will continue to not buy the entire Affinity suite, and as well continue to not recommend it for any comic book creators because they don't have one-click destructive gradients.