You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Publisher (V1) spelling language remainds on 'none'

Hi all, I hope you're well,

I'm using Publisher V1 on a Mac with Ventura 13.0.

My spell check is not working -- no highlight of spelling errors, or when I bring up the spelling options box from the text menu -- even when I type intentional errors. I have read a previous post that led me to look in the character panel... language. It is set for 'none' and I thought I'd cracked it. However when I change the spelling option to 'English (United Kingdom)' and click back into my document it changes back to 'none'.

What am I doing wrong?

Cheers

Paul

1 hour ago, Third person Paul said:

when I change the spelling option to 'English (United Kingdom)' and click back into my document it changes back to 'none'.

What is "click back into my document"?

Note, you can set a language independent from any object or style. So, to make a certain choice work it requires to be set when text or object(s) or style(s) are selected.

For general change from "None" to e.g. "English" you can try to save it as Default via menu Edit > Defaults > Save.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

In one text frame (your text box) you could have a half dozen different languages in the text. Make use of Character and Paragraph styles and apply them. You have to understand that the language is not set for all the text in your document, just the bit of text you have selected.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

Try this;

New document, new text frame, with some text in it. [No Style] as Paragraph and Character style for the text in the frame. set up the font and language etc as you would like it to be for the [No Style] Now you have to set this as the Default. See @thomaso's advice above.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

Hiya,

From your prompt I've worked out what the problem is. I've typed up text elsewhere and copied and pasted it into the text frame, changing font etc, but not the language. If I look elsewhere in the document at a text frame that I haven't copied etc., then it all works as it should.

Thanks, both of you, for your time.

Paul