You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

AF Photo 2: Self made/recorded macros do not start

Hello out there!
I hope, I didn't miss some "wambo mambo", but even after watching the Affiniy help and video tutorials, I do not succeed in setting up a simple own macro in AFPhoto 2 and running it: converting the color profile of the given picture to Adobe RGB (may be it's the name ... 😆) and then setting the picture resolution to 300 dpi – without recalculation.

The recording of the macro seems to be stright forward. The saving into an (own) macro-set in the library, too. But when I recall that macro by clicking on the list item in the macro list – nothing happens. Or if I double click, the whole app crashes off (vanishes from the monitor). Slow long clicking on the list item - nothing.
From time to time something happens! – But the picture gets distorted 😞 (Although I knew that there has to be the "lock" picture...)

The "process" of starting a macro via only one click without any response seems to me not very user friendly: Other softwares have a "Play"-button, so that one is aware of what is going on. Just clicking on the item in the macro list may happen even more by accident ...
Also there is no context menue item: "run macro".

Also the "edit macro" menue is not very lucky: I can only (de)select the check mark to activate/deselect a single macro step. But I can't go into the single step and chane only a certain parameter. Or am I wrong?

I would be happy, if someone has a hint – or less happy, if others do have the same difficulties...

Best wishes

Johannes

I forgot!: MacOS 12.6.1 on a MBP M1 Max

• 2 weeks later...

Similar issue here with macros not playing, also Photo 2.0

DIY Macro for luminosity layers runs sometimes and then other times doesn't at all. No notable differences in images (I'm batch scanning many small colour & bw photos, all the same spec when being edited.)

I do agree that the interface isn't very intuitive. When I first clicked on the macro in the Library it did nothing. I turns out this is what you do, but it just didn't work that time. Having to "Edit Macro" and then press play worked that time but doesn't always (again, a bit unintuitive).

Any clues?

On 11/15/2022 at 6:55 AM, jweitzel said:

and then setting the picture resolution to 300 dpi – without recalculation.

There is an old (but unfixed) bug that prevents recording a macro that has that function. You need to record the macro using Affinity Photo 1.6, at the lastest, if I remember correctly. There are some macros available that were recorded using that release You could install them, and then invoke them from your macro.

Here is one such set of macros:

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Hello TonyRambler and WaltFarrell,
man thanky to you both for "reanimate" that thread. It has been "swiped" away by the lot of other questions and aspects after V2 has been published ...
Especially to you, WaltFarrell, my thanks. You are a very busy, very patient, skilled and competent forum partner. 31.2k Answers!!!

If I see it right, the problem/bug with macros concerning dpi-change is obvious, and we have to wait (resp. take the detour ...) until it's fixed. That's OK - after I got to know, that's not myself, who does something wrong.

It is not the place here to discuss, that I have the impression, that V2 of Affinity has been published a little to early. So many postings of questions and quirks...  Personally, I think the Affinity team was under pressure to release a new version because more and more people were getting impatient, or "trolls" on the forums asking if Serif even still existed. Such bullshit. Those aspects seem to me the disadvantage of such totally open forums. They can become the domain of evil, destructive people. This is a pity.

For the moment, I have returned to V1 of the Affinity Suite. I have to do difficult, consequential work, and I can't afford to "break" a design job.
But I'm never the less very happy and convinced of Affinity.

Have a nice time
Johannes

Hi jweitzel,

Thanks for your response. I think the Affinity suite is remarkable and I agree that it is unfairly criticised by some on here. It wouldn't surprise me if there was some incentive for certain other corporations to muddy the waters a bit on the forum. It happens everywhere else where market share is involved, after all. Ah well.

This macro complaint isn't such a big deal but the code needs fixing and also it's a bit clunky in its design even when it works. 

Personally, I love the Affinity Suite. I used the StudioLink integration exhaustively on one very large project (a 300 page illustrated book) for several weeks with totally consistent smoothness and speed and almost zero glitches, all in one chameleon-like book/photo/vector window the whole time. It was a total pleasure to use. The Famous Industry Standard apps never gave this kind of ability.

I think the whole suite is great. It doesn't have to be perfect, as long as they continue to listen.