You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Possible bug: Rasterize layer / master page

Mooxo

I'm not sure if this is a bug or expected behaviour. If expected, it's weird:

Rasterising a vector placed into a frame from a master page renders that layer completely un-editable. It's not even possible to delete it.

This happens on the mac and iPad, and happens in v1 as well as v2. Once you rasterise the vector, it's there to stay and there is no way I've found of removing it, you cannot even change its opacity or resize it. 

Doing the same thing on an image within a frame that is not part of a master page does not exhibit this behaviour.

I tested this and duplicated part of your problem but I was able to delete the frame. I've attached a simple test EPS for demonstration purposes but as you said it should happen with any vector image.

1. Created a Publisher doc
  2. Draw a picture frame on Master A
  3. On page 1, place test.eps into the master frame
  4. On Master A, rasterize the frame - the frame becomes a pixel layer but is no longer selectable. The layer is still in the panel but there is no object on the page. It can be deleted via the panel.
  5. On page 1, you now have an empty pixel layer AND the original frame containing test.eps
  6. With Layer > Master Page > Edit Detached you can delete both layers

The problem is you shouldn't be able to rasterize a picture frame on a master even if it has placeholder content, it just doesn't make any sense that you're able to do this. So the fix is that Rasterize should be disabled on master pages. If being able to rasterize the page content placed into a master frame is a desirable feature, it would need to create a rasterization group similar to a warp group so that anything later placed into the frame was rasterized. I don't think anybody is clamouring for this feature so just disabling the menu command should be sufficient.

test.eps

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.2 for macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)

Sorry I probably wasn't clear in my original posting. I'm not rasterising the image on the master page, I'm rasterising it on the regular page. For clarity:

1. Place a frame on Master A
  2. On a regular page (with Master A applied), place a vector in that frame (I've tested SVG and EPS).
  3. Still on the regular page, rasterise that image. 

That image layer is now un-editable and cannot be deleted.

1 minute ago, Mooxo said:

Sorry I probably wasn't clear in my original posting. I'm not rasterising the image on the master page, I'm rasterising it on the regular page, which doesn't seem unreasonable?

How are you rasterizing a master frame on a regular page? The command is disabled in the context menus for me. If I edit the master detached I'm able to rasterize the frame but then I'm able to delete that pixel layer via the Layers panel.

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

I'm rasterising the image inside the frame, not the frame. I select the image in the layers panel, right click and select Rasterise. On the iPad I do the same but select the rasterise option from the button at the top of the layers panel. 

9 minutes ago, Mooxo said:

I'm rasterising the image inside the frame, not the frame. I select the image in the layers panel, right click and select Rasterise. On the iPad I do the same but select the rasterise option from the button at the top of the layers panel. 

Oh, now I see. The steps to reproduce the bug are:

1. Created a Publisher doc
  2. Draw a picture frame on Master A
  3. On page 1, place test.eps into the master frame
  4. Select the image within the frame - this layer can be deleted if you want
  5. Rasterize the layer - this layer cannot be deleted now

There is a workaround however - if you choose Layer > Master Page > Edit Detached you can delete the pixel layer.

Cheers

1 hour ago, Mooxo said:

Yes, partial workaround. But you cannot hide the layer, change its opacity, resize it, or edit it in any other way. So you have to be sure your image is exactly as you want before rasterising, or delete it and start over.

Once you have made the object part of the Master Page layer on the document page, you must use Edit Detached if you want to change its properties.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

5 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Once you have made the object part of the Master Page layer on the document page, you must use Edit Detached if you want to change its properties.

But only if it is rasterised, which doesn't make any sense. You can still change properties if it is not rasterised.

1 hour ago, Mooxo said:

But only if it is rasterised, which doesn't make any sense. You can still change properties if it is not rasterised.

What does the Layers panel show before and then after rasterizing?

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

4 hours ago, Mooxo said:

Exactly the same thing, except the tiny icon changes from vector to pixel.

Can we see a screenshot, please, before and after.

-- Walt
PC:

Thanks. That helps me understand.

I see this topic has been tagged with a bug reference number (afb-6873) so it is  apparently recognized as a problem.

-- Walt
PC: