You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer 2 ignored Windows 11 storage settings and installed on C: drive anyway

I tried to install Affinity Designer on Windows 11. Even though I had set "Settings > Storage > Where new content is saved" set to install new apps on drive "D:" (see attached file), Affinity Designer 2 installed on drive "C:" anyway.

I then tried to use Settings > Apps to move Affinity Designer 2 to the "D:" drive. But it failed with this error message:

We couldn’t move Affinity Designer 2
The operation did not complete successfully. Try again in a bit.
The error code is 0x80073d0b, in case you need it.

I don't have much room left on the "C:" drive so I can't really keep Affinity Designer 2 there.2102920419_Screenshot2022-11-14184513.jpg.c3e71639534820757831e729590f111f.jpg

Any suggestions?

5 hours ago, signingin54 said:

The error code is 0x80073d0b, in case you need it.

Seems to be something about Encryption

Out of interest, have you ever set up or changed any encryption settings on your PC?

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

5 hours ago, carl123 said:

Seems to be something about Encryption

Out of interest, have you ever set up or changed any encryption settings on your PC?

No, never. Device encryption doesn't even appear in the Settings app on my Windows 11 PC.

And that wouldn't explain why Designer 2 didn't install on the drive I had specified in Settings for new app installations.

I'm sure other people will encounter this problem as more and more people purchase Affinity products.

39 minutes ago, signingin54 said:

And that wouldn't explain why Designer 2 didn't install on the drive I had specified in Settings for new app installations.

There might be something system specific that causes this (since you had also problems in moving an already installed app), but it just occurred to me that it might be that the setting is only applied to Microsoft Store purchased apps and ones that get installed from within the app store, and not to .msix files downloaded from other sources? If this is true, then I think .msix should not be distributed off the store, at all. But it might also be a flaw in the OS setting (so that .msix packages are supposed to honor the OS setting automatically and install on the user-defined drive, no matter where the package proceeds).